Sunday, February 22, 2009

Whole Wheat...

Speaking of food storage, I've been really into using my wheat lately and I remembered that my mom use to make puffed wheat in the crock pot over night and I loved it. I called her for the recipe and it was even easier than I thought! You can eat it plain for breakfast or use it in tons of recipes to make them even more healthy. For example, you can put a cup of it in your whole wheat bread, oatmeal cookies, muffins, pancakes, etc.
I am totally addicted to this stuff. I eat a bowlful every morning with milk and a little sugar. Then I usually add craisens, chopped bananas, peaches, strawberries of any other fruit I have on hand. But I even love it just plain! It may not sound very appetizing but you'll have to trust me on this one. Plus, it is very heart healthy and does wonders for your digestive system!!

Puffed Wheat

1 C. whole wheat (White or red)
2 c. water
1/2 tsp. salt

Put in crockpot on low for about 7 hours.
*Do not cook for much longer than this or it will dry out and burn!
The wheat will triple so you will end up with about 3 cups of puffed wheat

2 comments:

Stina said...

I didn't realize all you could do with puffed wheat. I remember my dad eating it for breakfast at my grandparent's. Maybe I'll have to give it a go...although I have to admit, I'm nervous. When you add it to cookies, to omit something to compensate?

Kristi Adams said...

Nope, just throw it in. It's moist but not too moist so it kind of holds it's own!