Friday, February 6, 2009

Banana Banana Bread

I've made this recipe for years. I absolutely love it and have no desire to use a different banana bread recipe. I got it from allrecipes.com with just a few changes. My secret? I use my Kitchenaid mixer to mix everything together - and instead of mashing the bananas like the recipes suggests, I throw them in whole. The beaters mix them up well, leaving some small banana pieces in the bread. It makes it super moist. I also add a little cinnamon. I'm going to make it this weekend with walnuts so we'll see how that turns out, I'll let you know! It's really easy to grab some extra bananas at the store and wait a week for them to get overripe and whip this up.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 1/3 cups mashed overripe bananas (I use 5, I don't measure)
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture; stir just to moisten. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.

Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.

9 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

I love banana bread and I've never found a recipe I love, so I'll make this one and let you know what I think!

Denise said...

I have so many bananas in my freezer. My family is picky about bananas and will only eat the perfectly ripe ones. I am too cheap to throw them out so I freeze them in there skins for banana bread. I will have to give this recipe a go!

Stina said...

I actually know I've made this before. I found it on allrecipes too. But, it's been way too long. You are such a banana girl! Have you figured out banana cookies yet? Kristi saw a recipe for banana cupcakes on Studio 5. I thought of you!

Carissa Poyfair said...

My neighbor made banana cake last night and gave me a slice and it was soooo good. It had cream cheese frosting too. I'll have to get that recipe!

Kelli said...

Did anyone catch last night's Ultimate Recipe Showdown? Picky Palate blogger Jenny Flake was on there, she did these banana bread doughnuts and she posted the recipe on her blog (picky-palate.com). They look SO GOOD! She didn't win but she would have if I was judging!

Carissa Poyfair said...

I Tivo'd it but haven't watched it yet. I think they sound so yummy!

Stina said...

I made this yesterday and love it! I really like the cinnamon. I baked it at 250 for 2 hours (my mother-in-law does this to keep it from caving in). The plus on baking longer is how good your house smells!!! And, I've been known to add chocolate chips to banana bread...

Kelli said...

So I made these again...seriously they are so easy to make! I went with Stina's suggestion and added half a bag of chocolate chips. I also added vanilla, but that was out of mistake because I'm used to adding it to cookies. I made them into cupcakes and the cinnamon makes the chocolate really stand out. They are really good warm, I would suggest heating them in the microwave for like 10 seconds before you eat any that have cooled. Not sure how long I cooked them, I just kept an eye on them.

Stina said...

Making this end thinking of my dear friend Kelli!