Monday, February 16, 2009

Chicken Cordon Bleu

Don't be afraid of this recipe! It sounds and looks fancy, but it's so easy and delicious, and it's a great way to impress your hubby, even though it was way easy (he doesn't have to know that!). For the recipe, I didn't have shredded swiss, but I had a few slices of swiss, so I just folded those up in the ham. Bryan and I also talked about switching up the dijon mustard to honey mustard or ranch or whatever sauce you like, and switching the ham to canadian bacon or something, and using cheddar or provolone or whatever cheese you like instead of swiss. It's really a method that you can switch up and try different varieties! But this dish is a definite keeper in our house. My kids gobbled it up (which never happens) and once you've made it once, it is so much easier the next time. This could be your signature dish!

4 boneless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
4 slices thinly sliced Black Forest Ham (I recommend using two thin slices per chicken, so you would need 8 total)
1 cup shredded swiss
8 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 cup flour
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Heat oven to 350. Place one chicken in between two pieces of wax paper or saran wrap on a cutting board. Pound to an even thickness of about 1/4-inch with the flat side of a meat mallet (I think this is the easiest method), a rolling pin, or with a heavy pan. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.

Spread out one (or two) piece of ham; pile 1/4 cup shredded cheese in the middle, then roll up the piece of ham like a burrito to enclose the cheese. Spread out one chicken breast and spread with 2 tsp of dijon mustard. Place ham bundle on chicken at one end and roll up chicken, enclosing ham bundle. (This does not need to be perfect, I just tucked the edges in as I went - any imperfections will be covered by the bread crumbs.) Secure with toothpicks. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.

Spread flour on a dinner plate and pour eggs into a shallow bowl and bread crumbs on another dinner plate. Coat one stuffed chicken breast with flour, dip in egg completely, and coat with bread crumbs, adhering with fingers if needed. Repeat with remaining chicken. (Your fingers will get nasty!).

Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces and brown, covered, for three minutes. Flip chicken over and continue to cook, covered, for another 2-3 minutes. (Some of my chicken bundles were more three sided so I flipped those ones and cooked the third side for a minute or so. It just allows the bread crumbs to get crispy). Transfer to a shallow baking dish and bake for 12 to 15 minutes at 350.

6 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

So how do you lay the ham bundle? Perpendicular ot horizontal to the way you are rolling it? I think this sounds so good. I am always looking for a new way to do chicken and I love pounding it. Not only does it make the chicken more tender, but I can get out my stress and frustration on the chicken :)

Stina said...

So I love the sound of having a gourmet dinner without all the work. I'm kind a lazy chef...but a chef nonetheless!! I'll give this a go. I wonder if that honey mustard recipe from the Aussie Chicken would be good with it? Thanks Celeste! And, thanks for the words of encouragement!

Kristi Adams said...

My mom use to make this every year for my Dad on his birthday cuz it was his favorite! I love it too and will definitely give this recipe a go!!

Kelli said...

I've made things similar to this, I love it. I'm excited to try this recipe and to play around with it.

Carissa Poyfair said...

I made this last night exactly how it says, with dijon mustard and ham and swiss. It was so good! I wouldn't change a thing unless you want something besides cordon bleu. And don't use cutlets in place of pounding the chicken. Not only will cutlets not be big enough to roll, but pounding the chicken makes it really tender.

Stina said...

I finally made this last night. I've been struggling to cook dinner lately. But, not this week! Brent is a happy husband and it's only Tuesday! This was yummy! And very easy to make. I'm just wondering how Celeste ended up with 3 sides? (J/K--that always happens with my meatballs). I want to try it again with chicken gravy for over the top. And, I would recommend being generous with the mustard. I loved it!