Saturday, February 21, 2009

Beans

So, I am set with my food storage, but when I bought the beans I wondered when I would ever use them. And so, over the past 7 years I've been on the lookout for recipes. I haven't been excited about any...until now.

My sister-in-law, Janalyn, is a homemaker extraordinaire. She knows how to bottle, can, and raise cattle (who doesn't?). She has a friend in the ward who is Hispanic and makes beans from scratch...supposedly everyday. She uses them as a side dish or just leaves them out in a bowl for the kids to eat with tortilla chips.

So, we got the exact recipe and it's very very easy and so yummy. I've never had beans like this and I don't think I can ever go back. They're so flavorful and very yummy. We just ate them as a side dish with hamburgers last night and I had some more today with lunch.

Beans

2 cups dried beans (she used pinto, but any kind will work--I used black)
7 cups water
2 heaping Tbsp minced garlic (I used 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped)
3/4 cup onion
oil
6 chicken bouillon cubes

Put beans & water in crock pot and cook on low for 7-8 hours until beans are soft and starting to crack. (I currently don't own a working crock pot. So, instead I put them in a big pot. I brought them to a boil, then put the temperature on low (2 on my stove) and let them cook overnight.) Test to make sure they're done because if they're not, they will stay hard.

In a pan, brown the garlic & onion in oil. Add the beans and all the remaining water. Add the chicken bouillon. Thicken for 45 minutes simmering on medium to medium-low.

When you're finished, you can put them in bags and freeze.

Hope this helps someone besides me!

5 comments:

Denise said...

Sounds yummy. I do not have dried beans but I should for food storage. Maybe this will be a good excuse to buy some dried beans...they are super cheap!

Kristi Adams said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe!! The only thing I ever use my beans for is chili so this will be a nice change and you can't go wrong with an original Mexican recipe!

Kelli said...

I have a bunch of dried beans from when I was on WIC so I'll have to try this. I'll let you know what I think, thanks for helping me find a way to use up my dried beans!

Celeste Pearson said...

I made this tonight and it was soooo good! I put a little too much garlic in, but it tasted great and I will so make this again! It was a great way to use food storage, and it tasted great on our burritos and as a side dish.

Kelli said...

Now that Celeste has commented, I have to follow. I made this a while back with pinto beans, so I didn't love it because I don't love pinto beans, but Jeremiah loved it and ate two bowls. Even the boys ate it! We just served it with some cheese on top. Next time I'm using black beans, my fave!