Friday, February 20, 2009

Raspberry Rose Pots de Creme (fancy for Raspberry Pudding)

So Giada made this last Saturday on her show and I had to try it. It is really simple to make and it was so freakin' good! I could eat this all day. And you could use blackberries, strawberries...the possibilities are endless! Please try this, you'll be so happy you did...

So the recipe calls for rose water, it's supposed to give it a perfumey floral taste which totally didn't sound good to me, so I omitted the rose water (where do you even get that?!) and just put in vanilla extract instead. The recipe also suggests you eat your dessert with Pop Rocks (especially Kade, he HAS to eat it that way!). I didn't do that either, but it looked fun on her show. The recipe says to use four 4-oz ramekins, mine are a bit larger but it worked just fine. The ramekins were only filled about 1/2 way but it cooked just fine.

3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon rose water (or vanilla extract)
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
Pinch fine sea salt (I just used table salt)
3/4 cup fresh or frozen and thawed raspberries, mashed
4 packets carbonated candy (recommended: Pop Rocks)

Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a medium saucepan, heat the cream, milk, and rose water (or vanilla) over medium-low heat until warm, about 4 minutes. (You'll know it's warm when bubbles form around the edge, don't let it boil).

In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, and salt until smooth. Slowly whisk in the milk mixture. Stir in the mashed raspberries. Using a ladle, divide the mixture between 4 ramekins. Place the ramekins in an 8 by 8-inch baking pan. Pour enough hot water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 30 minutes until the custard is almost set. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the ramekins to cool while still in the water, about 1 hour. Remove the ramekins from the water and refrigerate for at least 2 hours until set.
Serve with a packet of carbonated candy.

5 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

I saw her make this on her show and thought it looked really good, minus the rose water. I love raspberries and I've never made my own pudding before so this sounds so yummy!

Denise said...

Wow, sounds so fancy. I bet it looks fancy too! This sounds like a great dessert to make when you have company over. I totally want to try this with the pop rocks!!

Kristi Adams said...

Pop rocks take me back to those Middle school band trips! My kids would love me if I put them in their dessert and I will definitley invite Kade over when I try this!!

Stina said...

So, I want to be the one to try it with rose water. Do you buy it in the floral department? Do you make it at home? I want instructions! And, we'll video Kade trying a bite with pop rocks. Sounds like fun...I actually dreamed about making this the other night! (I read the recipe before going to bed.)

Kelli said...

I seriously don't know where you get rose water. Giada said a specialty shop, I'm sure it would be near the vanilla extracts but I'm not so sure you'll find it at your local Albertsons. Good luck, though, I can't wait to make it again. And I told Celeste that because we don't drink whole milk and I didn't want to buy a gallon for this recipe, I just bought a single serving bottle of it for like 79 cents. It's really not that expensive to make but is so yummy!