Friday, February 13, 2009

Rachel's Banana Cake

My neighbor, Rachel, is an awesome cook and baker and she made this cake last week and let Adam and I have a slice. It is delicious! It is like a 2 layer cake mixed with banana bread with a yummy cream cheese frosting. Seriously, you are eating a cake, but you feel okay eating a huge slice (or slices) because it feels healthy! Anyway, I really hope you make this!

Banana Cake

1 7/8 Cup Flour
1 1/2 Cup Sugar
3/4 tsp Salt
1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
3/4 Cup Margarine
1 1/2 Cup Smashed Bananas
3 Eggs

Mix flour, sugar, salt & baking soda. Add margarine. Cut into flour. Mash bananas w/fork and add to flour along with beaten eggs. Fold in quickly. Place in two greased/floured rounds. Drop on counter. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or less depending on your pans. Watch it closely to make sure it doesn't burn.

Frosting:
1 Cup Powdered Sugar
4 oz. Cream Cheese
1/2 Stick Softened Butter
1 tsp Vanilla

Frost both cake rounds and layer for a 2-layer cake. So yummy!

7 comments:

Kelli said...

Another reason to buy bananas! I'm excited to try this one (there's just something about bananas!!!).

Denise said...

Yum. This is totally a healthy cake. Anything with veggies or fruit in it is healthy, right?? I can not wait to make this. I can not stomach bananas on there own but banana bread was fine!

Stina said...

"smashed bananas"? Is this a Racheal Reay recipe? I'm so glad it calls for a cream cheese frosting!! And although bananas are not lasting in my house lately (I'm trying to keep up with my 5-a-day), I'll put some aside just for this!

Carissa Poyfair said...

No, this is Rachel my neighbor's recipe. Have fun smashing your banana's!

Kristi Adams said...

1 7/8? I don't think I've ever seen this fraction in a recipe! This sounds soooooo good though. I can't wait to try it!

Carissa Poyfair said...

I asked my neighbor about the 7/8 cup thing. She said she just measures a little under one cup and goes for it. It really is just 2 TBL less than one cup if you want to be really accurate, but cakes are slightly forgiving if you are a tiny bit off on the flour. I am making this next week! Yeah!

Kelli said...

So Carissa made this for me a few weeks ago, and it really is that good. Especially if you like banana bread, you'll love this cake. It's a great mix from the chocolate cake you normally have.