Thursday, August 30, 2007

Tortellini Soup


I was going to wait to share this recipe until the fall, but I saw Kristi's recipe and thought I would share this one. That way you can buy in bulk, freeze the extra tortellini and spinach and have a second meal with simailar ingredients later on. My family loves this soup and I hope it will become a favorite of yours! I found this recipe online with this picture! I wish I could say I planned this meal and took a picture of it knowing I would post the recipe!!

1 pkg tortellini (I use 1 1/2 pkg's because half of the soup has no meat!)

24 oz. chicken broth

4 garlic cloves - minced

14 oz. can of stewed tomatoes

1/2 lb. ground sausage

1 tsp. basil

1 pkg chopped spinach (in the freezer section, but thaw and drain before adding it to the soup)
1/2 c Parmesan cheese

1 can tomato sauce (optional)


* I also think adding some white beans, zucchini, or chickpeas make this soup even better.


1. Brown the sausage and garlic
2. After the sausage and garlic has cooked through, drain the fat and dump the sausage into a large soup pot.

3. Add the chicken broth, stewed tomatoes and basil

4. When the soup is boiling add the tortellini and simmer for about 10 minutes


* if you think the broth is too thin add the can of tomato sauce - I always do because I like the sauce a little heartier


5. Add the spinach and Parmesan cheese and simmer for about 10 minutes more

6. Serve with a small salad and garlic bread and you've got dinner!

4 comments:

Denise said...

I think we have a spinach theme going on here!

Stina said...

I'm so giving this a go...I can't decide if I should wait until the weather cools or just do it. Yeah tortellini!!!

Carissa Poyfair said...

That picture is awesome. We should add pictures more often! I can't wait to try this (when it isn't blazing hot in Cleveland)

Kristi Adams said...

I've decided I'm done waiting for the weather to cool off. I'm going to start making soups even if I die of heat in my kitchen! This soup sounds amazing and I can't wait to try it!!