Thursday, August 23, 2007

Spinach and Bacon Quiche

Hey, I'm back!!!

So I went to the grocery store last night to get heavy cream for this meal, and the old lady behind me asked what I was doing with so much heavy cream. I told her I was making a quiche, and she looked at me as though I was very brave. Why does quiche have such a bad rap? This is so easy to make! It's also very versatile- you make make it with just bacon and cheese, or exchange asparagus for the spinach, or just cheese, or broccoli and cheese...whatever you want. With this recipe, I only added 1 cup cheese because that's all I had, and it was just fine. And I'd probably chop the spinach a little more, I only did a rough chop and it was a little bigger than I would have liked. Best of all, it is great for breakfast the next morning!!!

6 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
Salt and pepper
2 cups chopped fresh baby spinach, packed
1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
1 (9-inch) refrigerated pie crust, fitted to a 9-inch glass pie plate

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Combine the eggs, cream, salt, and pepper in a food processor or blender. Layer the spinach, bacon, and cheese in the bottom of the pie crust, then pour the egg mixture on top. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until the egg mixture is set. Cut into 8 wedges.

7 comments:

Denise said...

I have never made quiche and I have to say I thought it was harder to make! I will have to try this recipes. Sounds easy enough.

Carissa Poyfair said...

Is this from Barefoot Contessa? I thought I saw that she was making this the other day and I missed the show. Anyway, I'll have to try it!

Kelli said...

Close, it is from Paula Deen. But it is still good, and oddly enough, no butter!

Stina said...

So, I ordered quiche one time at Mimi's Cafe (because I loved mini quiche at one point, but haven't had them in a long time). Anyway, I was overwhelmed by the egg. What would you say to a nervous quicher like myself??

Kelli said...

Well, quiche is obviously an egg dish, but most call for like 8 eggs, this one has enough bacon and spinach and cheese so every bite is a good blend of everything.

Kristi Adams said...

I've always been afraid to make quiche but this sounds really easy! Plus, I've been really in to spinach lately.

Carissa Poyfair said...

This was so easy to make and so yummy. I didn't add 2 cups spinach, more like a cup and a half. And try and make your bacon crispy just for kicks, so there are different textures. Adam loved this a lot and I am excited for leftovers!