Sunday, November 15, 2009

Pumpkin Swirled Brownie Tart


So I got the recipe from Picky Palate, and it's a great change up for typical pumpkin desserts! It's really easy to make (like, really easy)! The recipe calls for an 8x8 pan-size box of brownie mix, but all I had on hand were family size boxes. So I filled up the tart almost to the top and used the extra brownie mix to make "brownie bites" in my mini-muffin tin. Then I used the extra pumpkin mixture to swirl into the brownie bites. They were so yummy and so cute! This would be a good variation of the recipe if you don't want to make the tart but still want the chocolate pumpkin mix.

2 rolls frozen pie crust, thawed
2 boxes brownie mix, 8x8 size
1 cup pumpkin (I used Libby's)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 egg beaten

Preheat oven to 350. Unroll pie crusts and press into two tart pans with removeable bottoms (you can also use pie pans, just make sure they aren't the deep dish ones). Poke holes into the bottom of each crust and bake for 15 minutes. I checked my crusts after about 5 minutes to make sure there weren't any bubbles forming. You can poke those down with a fork. Remove from oven. Prepare brownie mixes according to package directions. Pour into prepared crusts.

In a large bowl combine pumpkin, milk, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and egg until well combined. Divide into two equal parts and dollop spoonfuls onto brownie mix. Take a knife and carefully swirl the pumpkin into the brownie. Be careful not to overswirl (you want to see the swirls, not mix the brownie and pumpkin together) and be careful not to cut the bottom of the crust with the knife. Bake for 35 to 38 minutes or until a toothpick comes out nearly clean from the center of the tart. Cool completely before cutting.

**For brownie bites with or without the pumpkin - Bake at 350 for about 12 minutes. Don't overbake or they will become tough. Also, the recipe on Picky Palate calls for a whipped topping that she homemade. I used spray whipped cream and it was great too. The tart tasted better the second day, so feel free to make this one a day ahead of your get-togethers!

4 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

I can vouch for this recipe, and so can Jack and Olivia. We all loved it. It looks really nice and tastes really good. A nice change up of the normal pumpkin pie. And chocolate in anything makes it better.

Stina said...

Great! You post this right when I'm starting to count calories. I do not want to know how many are in this! Maybe, I should have free weekends, cause I know I won't be able to stop with one slice!

And Kristi--post your pie crust recipe!! I need it anyway!

Denise said...

Yum looks and sounds great. I am with you Stina...wish I were not on a diet!

Nana Lynda said...

This was really yummy. I loved it. But I also like pumpkin flavored (most) anything.