Sunday, November 22, 2009

Candied Sweet Potatoes

Just in time for Thanksgiving--a recipe for sweet potatoes. A few years ago, I asked if anyone had any good recipes. I got no submissions. Over the years, I have used this one from my Betty Crocker cookbook, and I love it! It is simple, yet perfect. Not even marshmallows. So, if any of you are on a search for a good recipe--give this one a try. I made it the other day as just a healthy alternative to mashed potatoes. Love it!

Candied Sweet Potatoes

6 medium sweet potatoes or yams ~ about 2 lbs
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
3 Tbsp margarine or butter
1/2 tsp salt

Scrub potatoes but do not peel (I peeled mine...). Heat 1-inch water to boiling in a saucepan. Boil 30-35 minutes or until tender. Slip off skins. Cut into 1/2-inch slices or chunks.

Heat remaining ingredients in 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly untnil smooth and bubbly. Add sweet potatoes. Gently stir until glazed and hot.

(You can substitute 1 23-oz can sweet potatoes, drained and cut into 1/2 inch pieces.)

3 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

YUMMY! You can't go wrong with sweet potatoes! I love sweet potatoes and yams (although I can't tell the difference, I get them confused!) and it is my fave part of the holiday dinners! I'll have to post my sweet potato bake on here sometime. It is like the one at Boston Market... so yummy!

I totally gave you a recipe last time in the comments, by the way.

Stina said...

Well, post your recipe. I've been waiting these years!

And, I knew you had commented, but you told me Celeste had to get it for me and told me the concept! I'm a measurements kind of girl! :)

Celeste Pearson said...

I can't wait to make these for my family. Bryan keeps saying he doesn't like sweet potatoes, but maybe these will change his mind!