Sunday, November 15, 2009

Croutons

I've never had homemade croutons before, but a neighbor brought a salad to dinner and made her own. And they were awesome! You could actually pierce them with your fork without them crumbling. This recipe is basic, but you can add whatever spices you like to change it up. I used my 100% whole wheat bread and it turned out great! I doubt I'll ever buy store-bought ones again!

Ingredients

15 slices bread
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 teaspoons garlic salt (optional)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Remove crusts from stale bread slices. Brush bread on both sides with melted butter. (My neighbor just tosses the bread in the melted butter! I did it too...I guess it depends on how healthy you want them to be!) Cut bread slices up into small cubes. Sprinkle with garlic salt (if desired). Arrange cubes on an ungreased cookie sheet.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 15 minutes or until browned. Let cool. Store croutons in a covered container or plastic bag. Serve in soups or salads.

You can also make cinnamon croutons and put them in a fruit salad.

5 comments:

Celeste Pearson said...

Hooray! I love croutons and I am too cheap to buy them, so now I have no excuse! And homemade always tastes better than store bought!

Carissa Poyfair said...

LOVE croutons. LOVE butter. So I have a stupid question... how do you get stale bread on purpose? Do you just leave it out until it's hard or something?

Stina said...

I used fresh bread. Or you can buy stale bread at a bakery. Or just leave your bread out, not in a bag.

Denise said...

Wow, I have never made my own croutons. Sounds good and easy. I love how easy you can change up the flavor of them by adding different herbs or spices!

Kristi Adams said...

Did you know you can use a tiny cookie cutter with this recipe and make really cute croutons? I used a heart for a Valentines day salad and was just really cute and festive!