Monday, March 16, 2009

Lemon Cream Cheese Cupcakes

For some reason I totally forgot about these cupcakes. I made them last year for some picnics and barbecues and they were gone within minutes. They are very easy to make and the lemon taste is very light, so they aren't too sweet. I got this off the Kraft website- you can't go wrong with them! It makes 24 regular size cupcakes.

Lemon Cream Cheese Cupcakes

1 box (2 layer size) white cake mix
1 box (3.4 oz) Jello lemon flavor instant pudding
1 cup water
4 egg whites
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1- 16 oz package powdered sugar
1- 8 oz brick cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice

Heat oven to 350ºF. Beat cake mix, pudding mix, water, egg whites and oil in large bowl with mixer on low speed until moistened. (Batter will be thick.) Beat on medium speed 2 min. Spoon batter evenly into 24 paper-lined muffin tins.

Bake 21 to 24 min. or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 min.; remove to wire racks. Cool completely.

Meanwhile, beat sugar, cream cheese, butter and juice with mixer on low speed until well blended. Frost cupcakes. An option is to add 1 tsp lemon zest to the frosting for an extra zing, but I don't like the texture of the zest so I don't do that.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Stina said...

I am making these!

Celeste Pearson said...

I made these last year when I was in Heber. (I think you had one Stina!!). Anyway, they were on the cover of the Kraft magazine, and they looked delish! They are way easy and so yummy. I'm totally making them for our R.S. birthday on Thursday night (but I'll keep some for me!)

Dani Dooley said...

These look so great! Thanks for giving me the link Celeste!

Denise said...

These sound so perfect for summer events, thanks!

Kristi Adams said...

These sound yummy! i will definitely try these this summer!

Kelli said...

Okay so I finally made these for the missionaries, and I had so much extra frosting that I went out and got more cake mix and pudding mix and made a second batch for the girls I visit teach just to use up the frosting. I love them!