Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Chocolate Mint Brownie Cookie

I got this recipe from "Studio 5" on KSL and these cookies are amazing! Along the same lines as the layered mint chocolate brownies but different and sooo good. I made them twice in one week for two different events and both times they got eaten right up. I love that the middle mint layer is just melted mint chips! How easy can it get! You can also use store bought chocolate frosting for the top if you want even less work. These are worth every bit of effort and perect for St. Patricks Day!

Chocolate Mint Brownie Cookies

Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
Using a mixer, cream the butter and sugar and mix until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg, milk and vanilla. Slowly add the flour mixture until well combined.
Using a 2 inch ice cream scoop, scoop the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes or until firm. You don't want to under bake or over bake these cookies. Let cool.

For the middle layer

Ingredients:
1 cup Guittard green mint chips, melted

Spread a layer of the melted mint chips over the cookies. Put them into the fridge to let them set for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, make the frosting.

Frosting

Ingredients:
1/2 c. butter, at room temperature
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
4 1/2 c. confectioners' sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
milk

Using a mixer, cream the butter. Whisk together the confectioners' sugar and cocoa until well combined. Slowly add to the butter. Add the vanilla and a dash of milk at a time until the consistency is thick enough to spread on the cookies. Beat until smooth. Spread the frosting over the mint layer.

5 comments:

Stina said...

I will vouch for this recipe. If you're on a diet or trying to avoid eating goodies in mass quantities, do not make these. The are deadly! I love the green mint layer in it. The little crunch drives me wild!! Make them...your tummy will appreciate it (but your hips won't)!

Carissa Poyfair said...

Crunch, Stina? What's crunchy? So it goes cookie, mint, frosting? I don't think we have that brand of mint chips out here in Cleveland, but I'm sure I can use food coloring. This will be a fun project for my kids for St. Paddy's Day!

Stina said...

Actually--they sell the mint chips almost anywhere. Although WalMart let me down today. THEY WERE OUT!!!

They're like biting into a piece of chocolate or something--so you get a crunch.

Carissa Poyfair said...

Okay maybe I just haven't seen the chips, although I don't think I've been looking either. I'm excited to try these once I'm off my diet!

Stina said...

I really like this technique...I used it with my BYU brownie recipe. I made the brownie recipe on that (I also used box brownies a different time). When I pulled them out of the oven, I sprinkled the mint chips on top. I let them cool, then refrigerated to harden the mint chips. Then made the chocolate frosting from this recipe. It was easier to me for some reason. I guess I love mint chocolate combo!