Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Homemade Chicken Alfredo Pizza

So this isn't so much a recipe as an idea. I made my own dough (I'll put the recipe below) but you can pick up frozen dough at the store (Carissa loves Trader Joes version) or go to Papa Murphy's and just buy pizza dough (it's like $2). I got the idea for Chicken Alfredo pizza in Canada. Their Quizno's had a chicken alfredo sammie and it was delicious! I can't find it here, and I don't know how to make flat bread, but the pizza is just as good. And Bryan and I decided to mix up the pizza - try different sauces and topping. Papa Murphy's white sauce is just ranch and minced garlic, so you can make your own Chicken Garlic. I also love pepperoni with white sauce! You can make BBQ chicken pizza, try different cheeses (like smoked or gorgonzola). The possibilties are endless! The dough recipe makes enough for 8 individual size pizzas. You can freeze half the dough if you only want 4 pizzas. My kids loved having their own pizza! Please post a comment also if you make a fun pizza - I need ideas!

Dough:
3 cups flour, divided
1 package (2 1/4 tsp) yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
2 T canola or olive oil

In a large bowl (I did mine in the kitchen aid), mix 1 1/4 cups flour with yeast and salt; add warm water and oil. With the paddle attachment, beat for 3 minutes. Stir in another 1 1/4 cups flour. When it starts to form into dough, switch the attachment to the dough hook. Let it run until it's lump free, adding a little more flour if its still sticky. I ended up kneading it by hand a little bit to get all the flour in. If you are only using half the recipe, cut half off, cover in plastic and freeze. Let remaining dough rest for 10 minutes. Heat oven to 425. On a lightly floured surface (I mixed in cornmeal too - I like the crunch on the pizza dough), divide dough into four pieces, and then divide then again to make eight. Roll each into 6-inch rounds. Transfer to a greased baking sheet or two (I sprinkled them too with cornmeal). Build up edges slightly and prick bottom of crusts with a fork. Bake 8 minutes. Spread sauce and toppings. Bake 8-10 minutes more.

Chicken Alfredo Pizza:

*Alfredo sauce (store bought or homemade - I used Classico Roasted Garlic Alfredo - and only like 1/4 of the jar)
*1 chicken breast, cut up into small cubes (I only used 1/2 the chicken breast, but you can add more for more meat)
* 4-6 slices bacon, chopped
*Tomato, diced
*Any Italian cheese blend, 2 cups
*Optional - cut up spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, green onions, etc

Layer sauce on pizza dough. Add chicken, bacon, tomatoes, and other toppings. Top with cheese. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake 8-10 minutes.

8 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

Actually, the pizza dough at Trader Joe's isn't frozen. It's in their fresh foods area next to the cheeses. I like it because you can get regular, whole wheat, or an herb blend dough. Anyway, we made chicken alfredo pizza before too with TJ's herb dough. We put alfredo sauce, roasted chicken, tomatoes, green onions and red onions. It was so good! Thanks for the dough recipe!

Kristi Adams said...

I've made chicken alfredo pizza with spinach and it is wonderful. I've also made bbq chicken pizza with just my fav bbq sauce, moz cheese and shredded chicken. Sooo good!
Good ideas!

Stina said...

We must have some sort of connection, or your gift of ESP is getting better. I was just composing my weekly menu and grocery list and wanted to make a good pizza. But, I was bored of the ever typical pepperoni. And, inwardly I cried out--where oh where can I find a better recipe? And, here to answer my cries of desperation was Super Celester. My hero!

Celeste Pearson said...

So sorry I posted a recipe that apparently everyone already makes! Let's try this one:

Buffalo Chicken Pizza

Mix 8 oz. regular tomato sauce with 1 cup Winger's Amazing sauce (sorry for those without Wingers!). I sometimes add more tomato sauce and less winger's sauce to make it less spicy. Or vice versa for spicier. Layer mozzarella cheese and chicken pieces tossed in winger's sauce. Top with chopped tomatoes, green onion, red onion, and more mozzarella. Crumble blue cheese over it and bake. Serve with ranch for dipping.

Kelli said...

If it makes you feel better, I haven't tried either pizza yet. Jeremiah doesn't like chicken on his pizza so I don't get to have it very often. I'll have to make a mini one just for me. Does anyone have non-traditional pizza ideas that don't call for chicken (for my picky husband?)?

Celeste Pearson said...

Taco pizza. Ground taco meat, cheese, tomatoes, green onions, black beans, whatever you put on tacos or nachos. Use salsa for sauce. Top with avocado and shredded lettuce after you bake it. Serve with sour cream.

Carissa Poyfair said...

I think taco pizza sounds so yummy! I am totally making that one of these days!

Stina said...

Hey! I haven't made this! Thanks for posting the recipe for JUST ME then. :)