Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Buttermilk Yellow Cake and Buttercream Frosting

My friend made this for her daughter's birthday cake and it was so delicious. It was like wedding cake, you know, where it is a little denser than boxed cake? And the buttercream frosting was delicious. I am going to use this cake recipe from now on, especially for birthday cakes because it was so easy to frost and didn't fall apart when you start cutting into it! I don't even like cake and I kept sneaking back to this one for more!

Buttermilk Yellow Cake
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter softened
4 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk(1 Tbsp vinegar to l cup milk)
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
dash of salt

1. Cream butter and sugar till smooth.
2. Add one egg at a time while blending on low speed.
3. In a separate bowl add baking powder to flour.
4. In another bowl add baking soda to buttermilk.
5. Alternate adding dry and wet ingredients to sugar mixture ending with dry ingredients.
6. Add vanilla to all.
7.Bake in greased and floured pans at 325 degrees. Two round pans cook about 20-25 minutes, 9x13 pan cook about 45 minutes.Frost with whatever you want. My friend used the Wilton's vanilla buttercream frosting. (Recipe below)

The Buttercream Icing recipe is perfect for spreading or decorating. Follow our instructions to make it the ideal consistency you need.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract (or regular, it just adds a little color)
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
2 tablespoons milk
Makes: About 3 cups of icing.

Instructions(Medium Consistency)In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.

For thin (spreading) consistency icing, add 2 tablespoons light corn syrup, water or milk.

For Pure White Icing (stiff consistency), omit butter; substitute an additional 1/2 cup shortening for butter and add 1/2 teaspoon No-Color Butter Flavor. Add up to 4 tablespoons light corn syrup, water or milk to thin for icing cakes.

5 comments:

Kristi Adams said...

Thank you!!! I've been looking for a good home made cake recipe that I could use instead of from a box. The mixes are crumbly and hard to decorate. I can't wait to give this a try!

Stina said...

This sounds very very yummy! Nothing beats homemade! For a long time, I never knew people made their own frosting, or cake! I'll definitely try this one. My birthday is coming up...

Carissa Poyfair said...

Oh yeah, and if you are frosting the cake:
1. Wrap the cake well with plastic wrap and freeze.
2. Frost a thing layer, called a "crumb" layer to catch crumbs.
3. Frost a thicker layer over the crumb layer and smooth.

My friend also refrigerated her cake after it was frosted because the buttercream frosting won't hold up as well if it is too warm.

Kelli said...

What? No chocolate? And you still love it?! I have to try it!

When I took cake decorating classes they gave us a recipe for frosting that used Crisco instead of butter because it held up better in heat, but butter is so much better in frosting.

Stina said...

So, I made these for Tyce's baby blessing. I made cupcakes instead. I was a little worried because they didn't rise very well. I asked my mother-in-law and she said the cake mixes are lighter and homemade are denser. So, they were flat on top but turned out great! Very yummy and great flavor!! I did make the frosting, but my shortening was bad...so I made a cream cheese frosting instead. It turned out great! Thanks Carissa!