Friday, March 6, 2009

Dark Chocolate Mousse in White Chocolate Cups





These are as good as they look...or maybe even better. So they take a little work but I'm addicted to them. It's another Giada recipe (I LOVE HER!) but here are my tips:

  • Once the white chocolate is almost melted, remove it from the heat. Otherwise it continues to melt and the liquid continues to evaporate from the chocolate, making it dry and hard. Also, I used a paint brush from the kid's water paints (which I washed well) because I used mini muffin liners, not the regular-sized ones.
  • I didn't use orange zest. I'm not a fan of orange and chocolate. If you are, go ahead and add it!
  • If you don't own pastry bags, just use a sandwich bag with a tip cut off.


8 ounces good-quality white chocolate, chopped (I used Nestle chips)
4 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped (I did half of each)
1 cup whipping cream
3 tablespoons sugar
8 ounces mascarpone cheese
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
White chocolate curls, for garnish

Line 8 muffin cups with paper liners (mine made about 20 mini cups). Melt the white chocolate in top of double boiler over simmering water, stirring until smooth. Spoon 1 tablespoon melted chocolate into each paper liner. Using a pastry brush, coat the chocolate evenly over the bottom and up the sides of the liners. Freeze until the chocolate is firm, about 30 minutes. Remelt the white chocolate in the bowl. Spoon 1 tablespoon into each cup and brush over the bottom and up the sides, forming a second coat. Freeze until completely set, about 1 hour.

Melt the bittersweet chocolate in top of a clean double boiler over simmering water, stirring until smooth. At this point, set aside to cool completely.


Using an electric mixer, beat the cream and sugar in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Set the whipped cream aside.


Using an electric mixer, beat the mascarpone cheese, melted bittersweet chocolate, orange peel, and vanilla in a large bowl just until smooth and glossy, about 30 seconds (do not overmix). Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture in 2 batches. Transfer the mousse to a pastry bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe the mousse into the white chocolate cups. Sprinkle the white chocolate curls over the mousse and serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate overnight, and then let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving

4 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

I'm not sure Nestle chips constitute "good quality" white chocolate, but whatever makes this cheaper, right? You always talk about these so I'll have to try them when I have company over so I don't eat the whole batch! They really sound yummy, and I'm totally putting the orange zest in!

Stina said...

I vote Kelli Most Likely to Have Her Own Cooking Show. In fact, I would love it if you had Jage video you making these dishes and upload to our blog. How fun would that be? This sounds amazing. You are so talking my language when it comes to chocolate! I've been feeling more ambitious lately. I'll have to try these!

Kristi Adams said...

Wow, so fancy! These do look really good, though. I love mouse!

Kristi Adams said...

Sorry...mousse!