Thursday, October 30, 2008

Chicken Marsala

My neighbor gave me this recipe and it was really good! If you have all the ingredients prepped ahead of time, it doesn't take very long at all. The only change I made was cooking the chicken longer than 2 minutes on each side, although once it is in the oven there is carry-over cooking so just use your best judgement.

Chicken Marsala
4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
1/4 cup flour (you actually need to measure this)
1/4 tsp dried marjoram
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 sliced green onions
6 Tbsp margarine or butter
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup marsala cooking wine (not actual wine, but the kind found near the vinegar, it's way cheap)

Rinse chicken, pat dry, Place each breast between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and pound with a meat tenderizer until chicken is 1" thick (don't use chicken cutlets since pounding the chicken flat makes it really tender). Stir together flour, marjoram, salt, and pepper. Lightly press chicken into flour mixture on both sides. Shake off excess. In large skillet cook mushrooms and onions in 2 Tbsp butter until tender. Empty into dish and cover to keep warm. In the same skillet cook chicken pieces in 2 Tbsp butter over medium-high heat for 2 minutes on each side. Place chicken on platter and cover. Stick in oven at 200 degrees to keep warm. Return mushrooms and onions to skillet with 2 Tbsp butter. Add remains of flour mixture and stir until a paste forms on mushrooms on med-high heat stirring constantly. Slowly add chicken broth and marsala and cook uncovered for 2-3 minutes, when sauce thickens stirring occasionally. Spoon mushroom mixture over chicken. (If the sauce is too thick for your liking, like mine was, just add a little more stock or cooking wine or a little of both to thin it out).

I served mine with garlic mashed potatoes and a salad.

5 comments:

Stina said...

I love that this recipe calls for ingredients that I have. I will definitely make this one and soon!

Kristi Adams said...

Sounds good and easy! I'll definitely try it out!

Kelli said...

What?! You ended the dessert theme we had going on? How depressing =)

I am nervous to try this, I tried the Mac Grill boxed dinners for marsala chicken and hated it. Is this better? It sounds really easy, maybe I'll just buck up and try it.

Carissa Poyfair said...

Don't worry, Kelli... I am all about sabatoging everyone's diets, especially yours. I have a new dessert I am trying out Tuesday or Wednesday so I'll be posting another one soon!

Stina said...

I made this again last night and just love it! It is so yummy! It's a great dinner to make when hosting--and it serves so many! I'm having leftovers for lunch! Yum!