Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Shepherd's Pie

I can't claim this recipe, since I got it from Carissa years ago. I love it! Her version has you use a slow cooker, but I like making it in a casserole dish and baking it. My kids eat it up and it's very easy.

Shepherd’s Pie

1 lb. ground beef
1 can corn

1 medium onion
1 can tomato soup
1 can french-sliced green beans
1 tsp basil
1 can tomato sauce (optional. Carissa's recipe doesn't use this)
mashed potatoes (instant or homemade)
shredded cheese

Brown hamburger. Mix together soup and sauce. Add hamburger to mixture. Add veggies. Pour into casserole dish or 9 x 13 inch pan. Top with mashed potatoes and cheese. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.

(Variation: Carissa Poyfair: She mixes them all together and puts in a slow cooker. She covers with mashed potatoes and cheese and cooks on low for 5-6 hours.)

2 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

I got this from "101 Things to do With a Slow Cooker" but I never thought to just do it in the oven. How ingenious of you Stina! I love this recipe too! You really can switch it up how you like it. I've added onion and zucchini and shredded carrots to mine too.

Kelli said...

I love shepherd's pie, I am always looking for recipes for it because it is a great way to get all your vegetables. I've also seen it made with leftover roast beef which is really good too.