Saturday, February 23, 2008

Slow-Cooked Chili


I know I haven't posted in awhile, I haven't made anything that had a wow factor...until now. This can be summed up in one sentence: YOU WILL NEVER WANT CANNED CHILI AGAIN! Besides some prep work in the morning, it just simmers all day in the slow cooker. I was a bit skeptical because I've never really had a homemade chili that was delicious, but it was so worth it, trust me. Great Sunday meal, too. I topped mine with a little shredded cheese and sour cream, and ate it with a side of cornbread. It makes 6-8 servings.




1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
3/4 lb beef stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
2 Tbsp flour
1 large onion, chopped
2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
16-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
16-oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
28-oz can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups beef broth
2 Tbsp barbecue sauce
1 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
3/4 tsp salt
Garnishes: sour cream, shredded cheese, fresh chopped parsley, crushed tortilla chips


Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meat and brown it for 2 minutes, stirring often. Add the chili powder and cumin and let the spices heat for 1 minute, stirring all the while. Stir in the flour and let the mixture cook for 1 minute more.

Transfer the meat mixture to a large slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients (except the garnishes) and stir well. Cover the cooker and let the mixture cook for 6 to 8 hours on the low setting, stirring occasionally. If necessary, thin the chili with a little water or beef broth

6 comments:

Stina said...

This sounds so so good. I've been needing a great chili recipe. Thanks!

Carissa Poyfair said...

I love slow cooker recipes on Sunday since we come home at 4:30! And it doesn't sound too expensive (well, except for the meat). Yeah!

Kristi Adams said...

This really does sound good. I love chili, especially with a side of corn bread!

Denise said...

Sounds great. I am going to have to make this next Sunday. I LOVE crock pot meals on Sunday's and our church is out at noon. Who does not love a nap on Sunday while dinner is cooking?

Stina said...

I made this for our ward chili cook off and it was a huge hit! I haven't made chili in forever and this was the best. I will make it again and again!! In fact, I used the black beans recipe I posted and threw that in. It includes onion and garlic already, so I didn't need to add more. Sweet. ;)

Stina said...

I made this for our ward chili cook off and it was a huge hit! I haven't made chili in forever and this was the best. I will make it again and again!! In fact, I used the black beans recipe I posted and threw that in. It includes onion and garlic already, so I didn't need to add more. Sweet. ;)