Friday, February 22, 2008

Crock Pot Honey Barbecue Ribs

Doesn't the title just scream summer? I want summer! I'm tired of cold fronts and freezing snow and below-zero wind chills! Anyway...

I borrowed an awesome slow cooker recipe book from my friend and we tried these ribs on Sunday. They were amazing! I normally don't like ribs for two reasons- 1) I hate eating meat off of a bone. It makes me feel barbaric. 2) There is usually a lot of fat on them and I think that's gross.

So, the meat fell off the bone so I just pulled it off, and the ribs didn't really have a lot of fat on them (that's what happens when I pick out the meat, not a restaurant cook). I know ribs can be a little expensive, but every so often you see a sale for them. Also, we only used 3 lbs, not 4 like it says, but we could have eaten more if we wanted to. I love how the onion carmelizes itself onto the meat. It's heaven!

4 lbs pork spareribs or baby back ribs, cut into serving pieces of 3-4 ribs each, or country-style ribs (we used the spareribs)

1 yellow onion, sliced

1- 16 oz bottle barbecue sauce

1/2 cup mild-flavored honey (like clover)

Arrange the ribs and onion in the slow cooker in alternating layers. Combine the barbecue sauce and honey in a bowl and mix until smooth. Spoon this over the ribs (you can spoon some over the separate layers if you so feel inclined). Cover and cook and low 8-9 hours. You can use the extra sauce on the bottom of the slow cooker as a dipping sauce or pour it over the ribs when you take them out.

5 comments:

Kelli said...

After you told me about this recipe I went out and bought ribs. They are hanging out in my freezer and I am SO making them this week. We bought a cheaper brand of ribs, but hopefully they turn out as heavenly as your post suggests.

Stina said...

While planning meals, I've decided every Saturday night is going to be BBQ night. Partly because I don't want to cook, and of course the afore mentioned spring fever sneaking in. This will definitely be on my menu. Thanks!

Kristi Adams said...

I've always been afraid to make ribs but I have some in my freezer that I need to use so thanks for the recipe!

Denise said...

Wow, sounds impressive :) It does scream summer. I will have to have a backyard cookout this summer and cheat with these ribs...shhh don't tell!

Celeste Pearson said...

Okay, I also made these last week. Country style ribs were on a crazy sale and I didn't know what to do with them. But these were so good! I just threw them in the crockpot with the onions and sauce and came back 9 hours later to meat that was falling off the bone! Definitely a keeper!