Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Ginger-Garlic Chicken Stir-fry with Soy Sesame Noodles

This recipe is so easy and pretty inexpensive (hello!! chicken and spaghetti noodles!). The ginger cost me like 18 cents. Sesame oil can be a little pricey, but a little goes a long ways and it tastes great in fried rice and other asian dishes. I don't use napa cabbage either. I use plain green cabbage and slice it really thin. It is really yummy - even my picky kids were begging for more! And you can totally eliminate the chicken for a vegetarian meal - the yumminess is in the noodles and the stir-fried cabbage!!!

Salt
1 pound spaghetti
3 tablespoons vegetable oil (eyeball it)
3/4 pound chicken, cut into very thin strips
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 inches of fresh ginger, peeled and grated - don't substitute powdered ginger!!! (use a microplane or small side of a cheese grater)
1 bunch scallions, trimmed and chopped into 2-inch pieces
1 small head or 1/2 large head Napa cabbage, shredded
1 teaspoon coarse black pepper (1/3 palmful)
1/3 cup Tamari (dark soy sauce) - I just use plain soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (optional but sooo good!)

Bring water to a boil and salt it. Cook the spaghetti to al dente.
While the pasta cooks, heat a large nonstick skillet with vegetable oil over high heat until the oil ripples. Add the chicken and stir fry until golden, 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, scallions and cabbage and stir fry for 2-3 minutes more. Season the stir fry with salt and lots of black pepper and turn off heat.
Place the Tamari (eyeball it) and sesame oil in a bowl and add the hot pasta to the dish. Toss to coat, then sprinkle with sesame seeds. Place pasta in shallow bowl and top with stir fry.

7 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

Isn't this the Rachael Ray recipe? I totally need to try it. I have toasted sesame seeds, sesame oil, and soy sauce, so I'm almost set! I'm so excited. I am going to make it when Kelli is here this weekend!

Carissa Poyfair said...

So wait, that sounded like I was rubbing it in that Kelli was coming this weekend, and I so wasn't meaning to, so sorry if it sounded like that! I hope you and your fam can come soon too Celeste!

Kristi Adams said...

nothing smells better than ginger and garlic together. Sounds like a really yummy recipe

Denise said...

Thanks for the dinner idea! I am so sick of repeating the same recipes. This sounds like my kids will eat it as well :)

Stina said...

I love Asian food, but I'm really terrible at cooking it. I think because I use lame substitutions like powdered ginger. And what does two inches of ginger mean? Maybe you could teach me your skills.

Carissa Poyfair said...

Ginger comes in a root form, so you just grate 2 inches of it. It's really ugly looking too, but I've seen it at all the grocery stores I've been to.

Celeste Pearson said...

You can buy small pieces of ginger - and it doesn't have to be exactly 2 inches - it can be close. And I don't think I have ever used the whole 2 inches because I get bored with the grating :)