Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Chicken Cacciatore Subs

This is a Rachael Ray recipe. As much as I like her, I'm not usually a big fan of her recipes. Well this one got 5 out of 5 stars and rave reviews, so I tried it. It looks like a lot of ingredients, but most of the stuff you should have on hand or can use alternates. It is delicious, but definitely makes more than 4 sandwiches. After making 4 subs, I used the leftovers to create a bolognese-style pasta dish by adding some spaghetti, some pasta water (the water you cooked the pasta in so it's starchy and a little salty) and another 14 oz can of crushed tomato. It was yummy and didn't even taste like the subs, so it really was like 2 meals in one!

4 pieces boneless skinless chicken breast, 6 to 8 ounces each
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling, plus 2 tablespoons
Grill seasoning blend, or salt and pepper (I used McCormick Montreal Chicken Seasoning)
4 sub rolls, split
2 cloves garlic, cracked away from skins (I minced 3 large cloves- I love garlic)
1 teaspoon red crushed pepper flakes (WAY too much, I used about 1/2 teaspoon)
2 large portobello mushroom caps, sliced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 large onion, white or brown skinned, sliced
1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/3 palm full
1/2 cup dry red wine or stock -- chicken or beef flavor
1 (14-ounce) can, crushed tomatoes
2 to 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley (Yummy, but you can skip this or used dried)
1/3 pound deli sliced provolone (We used 2 slices per sandwich, but Rach used only 1)

Heat a grill pan or large skillet. Drizzle chicken with oil, to cover,and season with grill seasoning blend or salt and pepper. Grill or pan-fry 6 minutes on each side.

Heat broiler, lightly toast rolls on cookie sheet and remove.

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, mushrooms, peppers, onions and oregano. Saute veggies and season with salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes, then deglaze the pan with wine or stock. Pick up tasty bits off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon or heat safe spatula. Add tomatoes and parsley to the sauce. Slice chicken breasts on an angle and set into sauce. Pile chicken and veggies into sub rolls and cover with sliced provolone. Melt cheese under hot broiler. Serve.

8 comments:

Stina said...

This sounds so good, especially for the summer when you don't want hot food for dinner.

Carissa Poyfair said...

Well, it is kinda hot since it comes out of the broiler :) but it is done so fast that it doesn't make your house really hot. And it is delicious with cole slaw, which is cold :) Am I allowed to put 2 smiley faces in one comment? How about 3? :)

Celeste Pearson said...

I am totally making this because I have everything on hand except the mushrooms and pepper, which Bryan wouldn't let me put shrooms in anyway and buying a pepper is so cheap. I even have provolone in the house :) Is that an appropriate time to use a smiley face? Remember that Friends episode where Joey couldn't figure out the quotation mark motion? Haha!

Carissa Poyfair said...

Of course I remember that Friends! I've seen them all... in order! That is how much of a life Adam and I had when we moved to Ohio... sad huh?

Denise said...

Ha ha I quote that friends all of the time! I love friends and still wish they were on tv. The recipe sounds so good (minus the chicken for me) I love that you have two recipe's in one. I am totally stealing your idea for the "leftover meal". Can you even call it a leftover?

Celeste Pearson said...

So I made these for dinner on Sunday and they were so so good. I didn't have fresh parsely, but I will make sure to have it next time. Bryan has even said we need to make these like twice a month! Thanks for the awesome recipe.

Stina said...

So I made these last night and they were very very yummy! I think it was a perfect summer meal. The sandwiches were warm, but not a hot heavy meal. And I served with watermelon, corn on the cob, chips and pasta salad (Kristi brought corn on the cob and pasta salad). It was quick & easy to make. I served Kristi and her family, plus her brother. I would make a batch, and when people were ready for seconds it only took a few minutes to throw some more together. Way to go Carissa!!

And PS, Carissa, I love that you and Rachael Reay are on such close terms that you refer to her as "Rach". You must be tight!

Celeste Pearson said...

So I'm making these again this week, and I had to put a plug in for these again. These are sooo good and Bryan loves them too. Yummy!