Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Tasty Meatloaf

Another Sisters' Cafe recipe. I really like their recipes. I made this for Sunday dinner with my parents over and everyone loved it. My kids even ate it up without complaining (except for Jack but that's because he wanted to go upstairs and play Mario Kart). One suggestion, since this makes two meatloaves, is to freeze the second meatloaf for another day. The girls at Sisters' Cafe suggest baking the second one in a disposable foil bread pan so you don't have to use one of your metal pans for the freezer.

(Picture courtesty Sisters' Cafe)
Tasty Meatloaf

1.5 lbs. lean ground beef

1.5 lbs. ground turkey
1 large onion, chopped finely
1 box stuffing mix (any kind)
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
2 Tb Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup fat free or light sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1 packet of dry ranch dressing mix
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp oregano
1 egg

Sauce (the BEST part!)
Stir together in a bowl:
2/3 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp prepared mustard

Combine all ingredients in a mixer (Kitchen Aid with paddle attachment works great, just make sure you put the lid on it so things don't go flying). Divide into two 9 inch loaf pans. Do not cover. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for one hour. Remove loaves and drain any accumulated grease in pans. Top with sauce and bake an additional 30 minutes. Once it has mostly cooled you can wrap tin foil over the top of one and put it in the freezer for later.

4 comments:

Stina said...

My whole life I heard this stereotype about meatloaf, but making it as an adult, I really really like it! I'm glad this recipe calls for ground turkey...I still may only use the lean ground beef. Otherwise the fat doesn't cook out. I'm really excited to try the sauce. Thanks!

Luellens said...

Can't wait to try this one! Looks great!!! Thanks for another great idea!

Celeste Pearson said...

We are in dire need of a new meatload recipe! And meatloaf sandwiches the next day are so yummy! Thanks for sharing! Now I just have to wait for ground turkey to go on sale...

Carissa Poyfair said...

I made this again last night and my house smelled AMAZING! I love that I do the work once and have two dinners since one goes in the freezer. I forgot to say that if you freeze the second loaf, you just take it out the night before/morning of and let it thaw in your fridge, then you slice and microwave the portions. You shouldn't reheat in your oven since it will overcook the meatloaf. I also added 1 tsp salt and made a little extra sauce because it's seriously the best part!