Sunday, June 20, 2010

Asian-Style Ribs

So I got this recipe from an April edition of Family Circle magazine, and was so excited to try it. I found pork ribs on sale for $1.99/lb and I had everything except the sesame oil and ginger. It was delicious! It's a slow cooker recipe, my favorite for busy days, and even Aubrey was eating it up. Jeremiah's only suggestion was to add a little more brown sugar. It would be great over rice!

Asian-Style Ribs

2/3 cup light brown sugar

1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce

2 Tablespoons sesame oil

2 Tablespoons rice vinegar

2 Tablespoons minced fresh ginger

4 garlic cloves, crushed

1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1 rack pork ribs (about 3 pounds), cut into sections of 3 to 4 ribs

2 Tablespoons cornstarch

3 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced

1 teaspoon sesame seeds

Directions:

  1. In a small bowl, blend sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar, ginger, garlic, and red pepper.
  2. Place ribs in a slow cooker bowl; add sauce. Cover; cook on HIGH for 6 hours or until meat is tender.
  3. Transfer ribs to a platter. Strain sauce and discard extra fat. Combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup water; blend with sauce in saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook for 2 minutes, stirring, until thickened. Top ribs with 1/2 cup of the sauce, scallions, and sesame seeds. Serve with remaining sauce.




5 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

OMGosh these are on my list for dinner when I can find a good deal on pork ribs! They look so yummy! I have most of the ingredients so it should be pretty cheap. Thanks!

Kristi Adams said...

I have been CRAVING ribs! These look so good and I think I have everything but the ribs. I will be on the hunt for a good deal! Yumm-o!!

Stina said...

I've been craving ribs too! The picture is amazing. I can"t wait to try these. What a welcome change from bbq sauce.

Stina said...

OH MY HECK!! This dinner was amazing. I love it when your recipes make me look good. I followed Kelli's advice and served it over rice. I bought some stir fry vegetables, put them over the rice and then the ribs with sauce. Brent's words? "Very good!"

Only thing, I forgot to strain the sauce. I served it as was out of the crock pock with no complaints. It was like Yoshida's but a billion times better. Yum!

Denise said...

I made these a week ago and it was a big hit! My sister, who was visiting from out of town, asked for the recipe! I love it when a recipe makes me look like a good cook :)