Thursday, October 8, 2009

Chimichangas

I saw this recipe on kraftfoods.com the other day and totally wanted to make them, but I didn't have Velveeta (which I thought was weird to put in a burrito anyway) and instead had leftover shredded roast beef, so I made up my own version using the technique in the Kraft recipe. Here it is:

Photo courtesy KraftFoods.com
1 lb or so of meat (shredded beef, pork or chicken, or ground beef)
1 tsp garlic, minced
1/2 onion, chopped
seasoning to taste (I used garlic powder, onion powder, salt and chili powder)
shredded cheese
flour tortillas
2 cups vegetable oil
sour cream and quacamole, for garnish

Cook hamburger or reheat shredded meat along with onion, garlic and seasonings. Drain if necessary. Heat tortillas so they are soft, put 1/4 cup or so meat mixture into tortillas as well as shredded cheese. Fold like a burrito, making sure the ends are tucked in too. Secure with toothpicks. Refrigerate about 20 minutes. Heat oil and then place the tortilla packets into the oil, 3-4 at a time, turning over to make sure the entire thing gets browned. Take them out when they are browned and place on a paper towel lined plate. Remove toothpicks and serve with sour cream and quacamole.

You can change this recipe up depending on your preferences or what you have on hand. Some people in the Kraft recipe added a tomato sauce to make the inside more saucy or something, but I liked them the way they were.

5 comments:

Stina said...

This sounds so yummy. And, not very hard to fry...You are quite the cooking queen lately! Keep it up!

Kristi Adams said...

Hey! I made chimichangas the other day with a left over Sunday roast. These sound really yummy! Anything wrapped in a tortilla and fried has to be good!

Stina said...

Genius to use leftover roast. I never know what to do with it...

Carissa Poyfair said...

I can always find a use for leftover roast! Pulled beef sandwiches, enchiladas, BBQ beef salad with veggies, chimichangas, pot pies...

Stina said...

I used my leftover roast and it made me very happy. We loved it! Thanks for all the ideas Carissa. I love BBQ beef, but it's not Brent's fav (crazy I know!). But, he loved these!