Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Flatbread Tacos


These are from my Taste of Home magazine. This recipe won the grand prize in the 30 min. meal catagory so I thought they would be worth trying. I'm so glad I did! These will definitely be a regular on my menu!


Flatbread Tacos


Ingredients
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
2 teaspoons ranch salad dressing mix
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1-1/2 pounds ground beef
1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
1 tube (16.3 ounces) large refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
Optional toppings: sliced ripe olives and shredded lettuce and cheddar cheese

Directions
In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, dressing mix and lemon juice; chill until serving.
In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the beans, tomatoes, taco seasoning and pepper sauce; heat through.
Meanwhile, roll out each biscuit into a 6-in. circle. In a small nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook each biscuit for 30-60 seconds on each side or until golden brown; keep warm.
To serve, spread each flatbread with 2 tablespoons ranch sour cream; top each with 2/3 cup meat mixture. Sprinkle with toppings if desired. Yield: 8 servings.

6 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

These look so yummy! I love flat bread and never thought to use biscuits. And under 30 minutes? This is totally on my list for next week!

Celeste Pearson said...

Hey I'm really excited about these! I never know what to do with biscuits (besides use them as biscuits of course) and these sound yummy and kid friendly. I'll let you know what I think when I try them!

Stina said...

I am way excited about these! Did you make them with biscuits or with the homemade corn tortillas? These will definitely be on my menu! I'm all about 30-minute meals!

And, Celeste, have you not made the biscuit pizzas again? They are still my favorite!

Kristi Adams said...

I made these with biscuits and they are delish! Never thought of using biscuits this way. The are almost like Navajo tacos but way easier!

Celeste Pearson said...

Okay, so I made these tonight, and my kids ate them up with no complaints! I am a little retarded and couldn't get the "flatbread" to fold like a taco shell without breaking (I did use an off-brand, so maybe that had something to do with it) so I just used them like pizza crusts and smothered the flatbread with the sour cream, meat and cheese and cut it up. They loved it! And the meat mixture was so good - I'm going to use it whenever I make burritos or nachos or whatever. I did modify it a bit. I browned my meat with onion and I didn't have the canned tomatoes so I just added about 3/4 cup of salsa, and it was awesome. Thanks Kristi! If you have any insight on the flatbread breaking let me know!

Denise said...

I will have to give this a go. I make something similar with Rhodes frozen rolls, thawed. Using biscuits is genius!