Thursday, October 29, 2009

Pico de Gallo

Last night for dinner, I had a brilliant idea. Why not make nachos? Celeste made them for us one time at her house, and for some reason, I never think of making them--even though they're my favorite! So, I got some chips, sprinkled with browned ground beef and my homemade black beans and cheese. But, of course, you need some good salsa. I don't like salsa--but I love pico! I've been looking for a good recipe (although we love love Kelli's Texas Caviar, I wanted authentic Pico). And, in my search through my recipe book, I had torn one out of a Real Simple magazine. It was easy and oh so yummy!

Pico de Gallo

1 lb tomatoes (4 plum or 2 beefsteak), seeded and chopped
1 jalapeno (seeded for less heat, if desired), finely chopped
1/2 white onion, finely chopped (I like a little less)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
Kosher salt and black pepper

In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, jalapeno, onion, cilantrol, lime juice, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper.

Being a shortcut-chef, I put everything in my mini-blender. Even though the tomatoes were a finer than I would have liked, it worked great and it tasted fabulous!

4 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

We have a serious Mexican theme going on here! Adam and I love pico de gallo and it is really hard to find in the stores. We'll definitely be using this for our next nacho night!

Celeste Pearson said...

So Bryan and I have Nacho Night once a month. We put the kids to bed, rent an awesome movie, and make a big old pan of nachos. This pico de gallo sounds so yummy and so easy to make! It will for sure make Bryan happy!! And I love that you labeled it. I may go back and label all my recipes :)

Kristi Adams said...

Nacho night sounds like fun! And there's nothing better than fresh Pico! My kids love me when I give them chips for dinner!

Denise said...

I love Pico! I was going to make this the other day and decided to just buy some instead. When life slows down I will make this. I love how fresh pico is, yum!