Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas

Well, since NO ONE bothered to comment or anything on my last post, I'll try this again... (seriously, where are some of you guys lately?!)

I have to thank the Sisters Cafe for this recipe. I was looking for something easy to make for some guests that were coming into town and this sounded perfect. I was super easy to throw together and tasted fantastic. I boiled and shredded the chicken the night before so all I had to do was assemble it and put it in the oven. The honey makes it sweet and the chili powder gives it a kick but isn't really spicy (I am a wimp when it comes to spices so anyone can make this and be okay with it- ahem, Kelli!)


Picture courtesy of the Sisters' Cafe

1.5 lbs pork or chicken, cooked and shredded (I used chicken)


Sauce:
1/3 c honey
1/4 c lime juice
1 Tb chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder


2 (10 oz) cans green enchilada sauce

equal parts mixed together of:
mozzarella cheese, shredded
cheddar cheese, shredded

flour tortillas


Mix together sauce ingredients then add to shredded pork or chicken. Let the sauce soak into the meat for about 30 minutes.

Lightly spray 2 pans with non-stick baking spray. (I usually use one 9x13 and one 9x9 but it may vary with how thick you stuff your enchiladas) Pour green enchilada sauce into pans to coat the entire bottom. Fill tortillas with shredded meat and desired amount of cheese. Roll and place in dish.


Pour remainder of sauce over enchiladas and sprinkle more cheese on top (I actually used about 3 cups or so of shredded Colby Jack. There is no such thing as too much cheese!). Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Then turn on broiler and place enchiladas nearer the top of oven. Let it broil until cheese is slightly brown and crispy.

I served this with Picky Palate's Spanish Rice recipe and a salad. I'll post the Spanish Rice later!

11 comments:

Celeste Pearson said...

This sounds so good, and I love sweet meat (like Cafe Rio pork!). This is already on my menu for next week!

Denise said...

Yum sounds and looks great. I will have to put this on my menu! I have been avoiding this website because I am on a strict diet...I have to lose some weight!

Kristi Adams said...

We love enchiladas of any kind in this house! I will definitely give these a try!

Kelli said...

I'm glad you said you can use pork, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to make this because I don't have enough chicken but I do have a pork roast! So excited!

Stina said...

I will definitely make this! I've been burned out on the chicken soup enchiladas for awhile...

Stina said...

I made this tonight and it is a keeper! Brent loved it and wants me to make it again--to retry broiling it (I burned the top). I have all the ingredients at home and the chicken was so yummy. I loved the cheese. It's definitely a keeper!!!

Celeste Pearson said...

I made these for dinner last night and I thought they were great! Bryan loved them, and compared the chicken to something you would eat at Cafe Rio. I used the cook-your-own tortillas from Costco, which are bigger, so mine only made 7 (I also only used 1 pound of chicken). It made the perfect amount for my family with enough leftover for Bry to take for lunch. Thanks Carissa! These were really easy!

Stina said...

I agree, Celeste. The chicken is so good it could be served at cafe rio!

Kristi Adams said...

I made these the other night and they were fantastic! I can't wait for my family to come up so I can make these for them! I am never going back to my old recipe again!

Kelli said...

I made this last week and loved it. I think next time I will double the marinade because I wanted some extra for a sauce on the chicken. I used leftover pork roast, too, and it was awesome, but I'm excited to try it with chicken.

Stina said...

I made these...again...with my leftover roast. I shredded my roast last night and marinated it--then threw it in the fridge. It was so flavorful and delicious! I love making a big meal out of enchiladas--sides of Mexican rice, corn, salad, and cornbread muffins. Add chips & salsa and you can feed a crowd!