Thursday, January 22, 2009

Chicken Alfredo

So a while back I posted a chicken enchilada recipe that called for half of a brick of cream cheese. What's a girl to do with the other half?? Make alfredo!! This recipe is easy and my kids love it (and so do I!). You can change it up by adding some frozen spinach, peas, or fresh chopped tomatoes. This recipe is also easily doubled.

1/2 lb. fettucini noodles (in a pinch I have used spaghetti and it's fine!)
1 lb. chicken breasts, cut into chunks or strips
1 1/4 cups chicken broth
4 tsp flour
4 oz (1/2 block) cream cheese, cubed
3 T grated parmesan cheese (I add a little more)
1/4 tsp garlic powder (I add more)
1/4 tsp pepper

Cook pasta according to package directions. Heat skillet to medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray and cook chicken until cooked through (I season my chicken with salt and garlic powder). Remove from skillet. In another pan, mix broth and flour. Stir in cream cheese, 2 T parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Stir in chicken. Toss with pasta and garnish with remaining parmesan cheese. **These would be awesome with Stina's breadsticks!

7 comments:

Kelli said...

I love peas in my alfredo, but I've only ever used canned sauce =) I have plenty of cream cheese too, I thought I was doing a good thing by buying a bunch on sale for food storage only to realize they go bad pretty fast so now I'm making cheesecakes...and alfredo!

Denise said...

Crazy that you would post a recipe with cream cheese. I bought 5 blocks for tomato soup and your cheesecake. I thought the cheese cake called for 4 blocks of cheese, it was only 3! So, I have cream cheese that is about to go bad in the fridge right now. I will have to give this a go.

Stina said...

I've been on the search for a yummy yet simple alfredo recipe. I'm excited to try it!

Carissa Poyfair said...

I was wondering what to do with that other half of cream cheese! Thanks!

Dani Dooley said...

Hey Celeste, thanks for the link. You said you didn't know how much your recipe cost so I took the liberty of doing the math for you. By my count it would cost $1.08 excluding the chicken and would yield about half (4 entree servings)of the recipe I posted (8 entrees).

To include the chicken would cost about $2/pound.

Great recipe, thanks!

Dani Dooley said...

oh, BTW, I suppose I should have said those would be sale prices on the ingredients, because you know, like you, I only do sale prices! :)
Broth would cost 50 cents a can and you'd use half, flour at 20 cents/lb, cream cheese at 75 cents for 8 oz., etc.

Celeste Pearson said...

I gave my friend Dani the address for the recipe blog. She is a big coupon shopper! On her blog (which you can get to from my blog) she was comparing the cost of alfredo that is homemade or store bought.