Thursday, January 22, 2009

BBQ Stirfry

I was super skeptical about this dish because it sounds so - weird. But I had everything to make it one night, so I tried it and Bryan and I loved it! You can also change things up - add whatever veggies you like in stir fry and use whatever meat you have. It calls for steak strips, but pork was on sale so I used pork sirloin steaks and I have used chicken too. I also add a drizzle of sesame oil to the dish right before serving and stir it in. Also, bell peppers can be pricey, but if you ever find them on sale, you can cut them in strips or dice them up and freeze them in baggies. Then just toss them frozen with your stir fry (or chili or whatever you use cooked peppers for).

2 bell peppers, any color
1 small onion (I have also used green onions)
1 lb. well trimmed boneless beef sirloin steak, cut into strips
2 cloves garlic (I have used garlic powder)
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 T soy sauce
1/2 cup BBQ sauce (I like Sweet Baby Ray's Original)
2 cups rice

Heat large skillet on medium-high heat. Add a couple tablespoons of oil and saute peppers and onions for 6-8 minutes or until tender but still a little crisp. Transfer to a large bowl and cover to keep warm. Add meat and garlic and black pepper to same skillet. Cook and stir for 3 minutes or so. Add soy sauce and continue cooking until meat is cooked through. Add BBQ sauce and stir until heated through. Toss with vegetables and serve over rice. NOTE: If you want more sauce (who doesn't??) I just add a little more soy sauce and BBQ sauce in proportion to the recipe until you get the amount of sauce you want.

4 comments:

Kelli said...

wow...bbq stirfry? i might have to try this one. i have most of the stuff, just not the meat. would chicken work you think?

Kelli said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stina said...

This sounds really good. And, I love your advice on green peppers. I just bought 2 for a dollar, and have been wondering what I'm going to use them for! I'm a big stir fry fan, so I'll give this a try!

Carissa Poyfair said...

This sounds yummy and relatively cheap. I'm excited to try a new stir fry. I'm bored with mine!