Saturday, December 1, 2007

Parmesan Chicken and Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette


So I've made parmesan chicken forever, but this is by far the best recipe. It's a recipe from Ina Garten (I love her!) and I've been using her parmesan chicken recipe for awhile, but the other day I was looking in her cookbook and saw this recipe. Basically, you make the parmesan chicken and then toss salad greens with a homemade lemon vinaigrette, and - ready for this?! - you pile some salad greens on top of the chicken. The cold, crisp salad with lemon is unbelievable with the hot parmesan chicken. I made this for the missionaries and they couldn't get enough of it, they all had seconds. It's just a fancy twist, and it's my favoite dish right now...


6 chicken cutlets (or boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4-inch thick)
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Unsalted butter
Extra virgin olive oil
Salad greens for 6, washed and spun dry (Ina uses arugula, I used a mix of baby spring mix and baby spinach...arugula isn't for everyone)
Lemon Vinaigrette recipe (see below)
Parmesan cheese


On one plate, beat the eggs with 1 tablespoon of water. On a third plate, combine the bread crumbs and 1/2 cup grated Parmesan. Dip both sides of the chicken into the egg mixture and dredge both sides in the bread-crumb mixture, pressing lightly.

Heat 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saute pan and cook 2 or 3 chicken breasts on medium-low heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until cooked through. Add more butter and oil and cook the rest of the chicken breasts. Toss the salad greens with lemon vinaigrette. Place a mound of salad on each hot chicken breast. Serve with Parmesan (I use a vegetable peeler and shave some cheese onto each salad.)

Lemon Vinaigrette:

1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
1/2 cup good olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.

5 comments:

Denise said...

I am so excited for this recipe!! I am feeding the missionaries this week and needed something to fix! I figure if your missionaries loved it mine will too, thanks! I do a version of this chicken and it is so easy and looks kinda fancy. The salad on top with lemon dressing makes a good combo. Good recipe post!

Carissa Poyfair said...

Ok, so maybe I'm blogger-stupid, but how do you post pictures from the internet? I've tried to so many times and it never works. I am so excited for this recipe ever since you told me about it. You should make it for everyone at Christmas!

Kristi Adams said...

Great recipe!! i am so excited to try this. I love salad with everything!

Stina said...

This sounds so yummy. I'll let you know how it turns out! (Which will be perfect, of course!)

Kristi Adams said...

I made this for dinner the other night and it was soooooo good! The chicken was so flavorful with the lemon vinegarette on it. I ate all my kids leftovers and wished I had made more for the next day's lunch! Thanks for the recipe! I will definitely make it again!