Monday, October 17, 2011

Granola

This is too funny. The first recipe I make is Granola? Really? Anyone who knows me, knows that I am NOT a healthy eater. I'm quite opposite. I like (read: LOVE) to use real butter and heavy cream. Lots of flavor and lots of fat.
But, I made granola so that's what we're going to do!

I got this recipe from my mother in law. (She IS a healthy eater.) My husband LOVES this stuff and so do my kids. I took half of this batch to my oldest daughter who is going to school at Snow College, because it makes a HUGE batch.

Granola

13 cups oatmeal
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups shredded coconut (I use unsweetened from the bulk department at the local grocery store.)
1 cup wheat germ, toasted or not
1 Tablespoon salt
2 cups seeds or nuts (I use a mix of salted sunflower seeds and almonds)
1 cup craisins
1 cup raisins
Mix all of that in a large roasting pan.
In a bowl mix together:
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups canola oil
Then pour it over the dry mixture - mix well.
Bake for 1 hour @ 275 degrees, stirring every 15 minutes.

We like to eat this with yogurt, fresh fruit or just pour milk over the top. I hope you like it!

6 comments:

Stina said...

I've been wondering about this recipe since I heard you offering it to Gentry at school. So excited to try this. Now, lame quetsion, but what is wheat germ? Ia that the whole kernel wheat I have in my food storage?

Carissa Poyfair said...

What kind of oatmeal, like quick oats? I would love this over some yogurt!

Sheral Wilson said...

Wheat germ is a little part of the wheat kernel... very high in protein. I buy it at Maceys. It looks like wheat flour, but it's not.
I use old fashioned oats. Because that's what is in my food storage right now. But I have used quick oats and it's just as good!
I need to find a good use for my whole kernel wheat in my food storage too.

Kristi Adams said...

Oh yum-o! I get really excited when I see granola but I don't think I have ever made it! It's kind of expensive to buy so I am very excited to try this!

Kristi Adams said...

I made this the other day and I have been so excited to eat breakfast ever since! I have it every morning with milk and just savour every bite... it really is THAT good! It even made enough to share with my favorite people!

Sheral Wilson said...

Yay Kristi! I'm so glad you like it!