Saturday, July 3, 2010

Nilla Wafer Caramel Pops

I got this idea from Kelli and I knew I had to make it as part of the goodie bags for Rix's Bday party. They were so easy to make and actually quite fun! We decided these would be fun for any holiday or event - Valentine treats for school classes or neighbors (add red and pink sprinkles, or heart sprinkles), Christmas treats, dip in chocolate and pipe orange frosting pumpkin faces for Halloween, etc. Or sprinkle with crushed nuts, oreos, etc. Drizzle with chocolate? The possibilities are endless! This is also something fun that your kids could help out with.
I wrapped them in sucker wrappers (I got them at Michaels) and tied a bow.

48 Nilla Wafers
1/2 bag of Kraft Caramels (I like the taste of Kraft better than other brands)
White or milk or dark chocolate (I used the Wilton Melting Chocolates)
Sprinkles
Sucker Sticks (found at Walmart, or craft stores)

Melt caramels with a little water according to package directions. Let cool slightly to it firms up a little. Using a small spoon, dab a small spoonful on one Nilla Wafer. Place sucker stick in caramel, twisting to cover the stick in caramel. Place second Nilla Wafer on top and gently squish together. Wipe any caramel off that squeezes through. Finish with remaining cookies and caramel.

Note: Don't dab all the caramel on the first 24 cookies and then place sticks and second cookie. The caramel will harden up too fast and the second cookie won't stick.

After caramel is cooled, melt chocolate in microwave according to package directions. Dip a sucker in the chocolate, covering completely, and tap off excess. Place on wax paper and sprinkle with whatever you are using to decorate. Let harden. Wrap in sucker wrappers and enjoy!

4 comments:

Denise said...

What a cute idea!!! Sounds great as well :)

Stina said...

So cute! I think Kelli let me sample some of these before. The crunch is so yummy with the caramel and chocolate. I worry about my skills in making them...but who knows. Maybe I'll surprise myself. I'll definitely give these a try!

Kit said...

That sounds so delicious! :D

Carissa Poyfair said...

These were so yummy and they would be fun and easy to make for lots of different occasions.