Friday, July 30, 2010

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

I actually came across this recipe because my Aunt Jodi asked me to make cookies for Girls Camp, and I didn't want to make plain old chocolate chip. So when I went to make peanut butter cookies I realized that *gasp* I didn't have any white sugar in the house! Really? I have ten boxes of crackers, eight large bottles of ketchup, and enough shredded cheese to get me through any natural disaster, but I don't have sugar in my food storage? Trust me. It was an eye opener.

Anyway, I found this peanut butter chocolate chip cookie recipe that doesn't call for white sugar. Hooray! It's really good and really easy. And the odd thing? It asks for 1/4 cup of cornstarch in the mix. This is the first time I've ever used cornstarch for anything but thickening gravy. But they taste awesome!
Photo from Allrecipes

1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (I added a little more. Some other people used M&Ms, which I would have totally used if I had them.)

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2.Cream together butter and brown sugar. Beat in eggs, peanut butter and vanilla.

3.Add flour, cornstarch, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Stir in chocolate chips.

4.Roll into balls about 1 1/2 teaspoonfuls (or use cookie scoop) and place onto ungreased cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly because they do not flatten much while cooking.

5.Bake for 10 minutes.

4 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

1/4 cup cornstarch? That's a lot! They look yummy though and you better have saved me one :)

Celeste Pearson said...

I guess the cornstarch helps keep them soft? I don't know. But they tasted good! I'd have saved you some, but, um, if you read my post, you'd know I made them for Girl's Camp. Boy, this is awkward now...

Stina said...

Ooh--that is awkward. Especially since you sent me a package with them. Ouch.

I love having recipes like this that save the day. And, I can't believe you don't have sugar in your food storage. Call me--I can solve your problems with my genius methods!!!

Kristi Adams said...

These really sound yummy. Peanut butter is my favorite!!