Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Almond Joy Cake

My WONDERFUL sister-in-law brought me this cake and it seriously almost brought tears to my eyes! It was soooo good! I obviously had to have the recipe but, I must warn you, do NOT make this cake unless you have somewhere to take it or someone to share it with! Or you WILL eat the whole thing yourself!!
I will post a picture later

Almond Joy Cake

  • 1 package chocolate cake mix with pudding
  • 1 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 24 large marshmallows
  • 1 package coconut (14-oz)
  • 1/2 cup evaporated milk
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 12 oz pack. Chocolate chips
  • 1 cupalmond slices -- toasted
Directions
  1. Bake chocolate cake as directed on package.
  2. Combine in medium saucepan 1 cup evaporated milk and 1 cup sugar, bring to a boil and stir in marshmallow until Melted.
  3. Add 1 package coconut, pour this over cake while both are hot.
  4. Melt together the remaining milk, butter and chocolate chips.
  5. Stir until melted and add 1 Cup toasted almond slices.
  6. Pour on top of warm cake.
*I think it tastes better cold. I would make it the day before and refrigerate until serving.
*My sister-in-law also said that next time she makes this she will poke holes in the cake before pouring on the coconut mixture so it soaks in.

5 comments:

Stina said...

I am so happy about this recipe. And, I'm not going to share when I make it. I will eat the entire 9x13!! I'm just wondering where this recipe was when we were making cupcakes???

Celeste Pearson said...

I think this cake would bring tears to my eyes too! Partly because it would be so good, and partly because I'd eat the whole thing and gain 5 pounds :) Thanks for sharing!! I'm making this next time I'm in charge of dessert!!

Carissa Poyfair said...

This cake sounds sooo good! Thanks!

Stina said...

I made this cake for a family potluck and it was a huge hit. In fact, an uncle of mine sitting by me was debating whether or not to get a second piece...and he did!

I have a question though--when you say it's better cold, do you mean room temperature? Or refrigerated? I put it in the fridge after making it. But, then the top part would separate from the cake making it hard to cut and eat.

I loved this cake and I will definitely make it again and again and again.

PS. Carissa--please make the cake and feed it to Celeste. Be sure to video her tears and then post to youtube. :)

Celeste Pearson said...

So my aunt made this recipe (she loves our blog!!) for our Pioneer Day potluck, and she had the same problem Stina stated, about the layers separating after it was refrigerated. But despite the separation drama, it was soooooo good. Too bad Carissa didn't have her video camera on her to capture the tears of mass joy :) But word spread like wildfire about the "Almond Joy cake" and it was gone fast!