Thursday, April 29, 2010

Marinara Sauce

I don't have a picture of this, it's marinara...just picture it in your head. It is so much better than jarred pasta sauce! The funny thing is it doesn't call for any spices except garlic and bay leaf, but for some reason it is awesome. And, because you can make a big batch and freeze it, it is less expensive than jarred pasta. This recipe makes two servings. I used one for manicotti and one for spaghetti. I just added 1 lb browned hamburger to the marinara for the spaghetti and Jeremiah and I fought over the leftovers.

Marinara Sauce
from Giada de Laurentiis

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 small onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped (some people add more)
2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped.
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 (32-oz) cans crushed tomatoes (I can only find 28-oz cans, which work fine)
2 dried bay leaves

In a large casserole pot, heat the olive oil over a medium-high flame. Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the celery, carrots, salt, and pepper. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bay leaves and simmer, uncovered, until the sauce thickens, about one hour. Remove from heat and discard the bay leaves. Season the sauce with more salt and pepper, to taste.

5 comments:

Celeste Pearson said...

This sounds so easy and yummy! I am going to try this next time we need pasta sauce. And I love that you can make a bunch at once and freeze it. Thanks!

Stina said...

Kelli, you must be a mind reader! I always buy bottled marinara sauce, but am looking for something more. My mom's is too runny for my taste, so I'm really excited to try this recipe. Especially if you were fighting over leftover spaghetti! Thanks!

Carissa Poyfair said...

I've seen Giada use this all the time and I've always wondered how good it really is. And I love that you make so much and freeze it for later. Thanks!

Kelli said...

Stina, this sauce is definately not runny. And I haven't tried freezing it yet. Let's be honest, I have an old ghetto fridge and it doesn't hold much, so I have to be pretty selective of what I freeze. And did I mention I got my MIL's approval?!

Denise said...

Sounds great! I love that I can freeze this. I might just make a big batch of this!