Wednesday, April 14, 2010

"Homemade" Doughnuts

I saw this on a friend's blog and had to try it. It was super easy and undescribably yummy! We made it for FHE and my kids have been begging me ever since to make them. Just a note, I would not recommend the biscuits that peel in layers. Just regular old biscuits!
1 tube biscuits (I used regular buttermilk)
Oil for frying (I didn't say they were fat free, just yummy!)
Powdered sugar, milk and a little vanilla for glaze (or you could use frosting)

Dump oil into a deep pan (I used an entire bottle of vegetable oil but it depends on how big your pan is). Heat oil to 375. Using a medicine cup (or something similar) cut out a hole in the middle of the biscuits. Fry the biscuits on each side until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel lined plate and then place on a cooling rack. Dip each doughnut face down in the glaze and let it melt down the sides (you can do it all over but I didn't make enough glaze for that). Enjoy!

Also, make sure the doughnuts are golden because then they are done on the inside. I tried to fry the middles into doughnut holes but the insides weren't done so if you try making doughnut holes just let them brown up a little more than usual.

This took me abour 10 minutes from start to finish. And next time we are using more than one tube of biscuits!

3 comments:

Kristi Adams said...

I have a weakness for homemade doughnuts! These look so good and so easy!

Stina said...

Sounds so yummy! I love making donuts! And, did you know that you can use vegetable shortening and it melts into oil?

Denise said...

I have tried these before but forgotten about them. So easy and ohh soo good. Thanks!