Saturday, January 16, 2010

Italian Barbecue Sauce

So I made Rachael Ray's Smoked Mozzerella and Chicken Sandwiches with Italian Barbecue Sauce and although I thought they were great, I absolutely loved the barbecue sauce. The recipe made quite a bit. I was skeptical at first, but after taking one bite of the sandwich, I was back in the kitchen piling on more sauce. I am going to make this sauce next time I want an open faced chicken sandwich or grill burgers. The chicken sandwich recipe also calls for arugula, it gives the sandwich a nice spice to go with the sweet/tangy barbecue sauce. Trust me, use this next time you have a barbecue, it is so good.

Italian Barbecue Sauce

2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped (medium to large)
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 14.5-oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (I used a plain can of diced tomatoes, slightly drained)
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce
Freshly ground pepper, to taste

In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and chicken stock and heat through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, brown sugar, and Worchestershire sauce. Add pepper to taste. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened, about 7 to 8 minutes.

6 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

I think the whole thing sounds yummy! On the sandwich, it uses fresh basil too. Would it be okay with out? I have most of the stuff already for this and would love to make it without expensive basil.

Kelli said...

I didn't use basil either. I didn't even miss it. I also got the smoked mozzerella from the deli, I just got 4 slices. I'm not a fan of smoked anything, but the cheese was actually pretty good with it. You could totally use whatever you want, though.

Celeste Pearson said...

I love BBQ! Although I am a huge fan of Sweet Baby Rays, this would be fun to take to a BBQ and claim as homemade (people don't believe I invented Sweet Baby Ray's). Can you make a batch and just keep it in the fridge for a few days? Or a week?

Kelli said...

Okay so it isn't so much of a bbq sauce like something you'd find in the condiment aisle at the store. It's almost like an onion/tomato marmalade, it has the consistency of a salsa almost. I'm sure you could keep it in the fridge for a few days.

Stina said...

Over the past couple years, I have discovered my insane love for bbq chicken. So, I can say without hesitation this will be on my menu this week! Thanks!

Kristi Adams said...

I just bought some fire roasted tomatoes without knowing what to do with them! i will definitely try this out!