Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Homemade Pound Cake

I made this the other day, trying to replicate a pound cake I had on our cruise. This one wasn't the same (the one on the cruise was almost like a vanilla bean pound cake), but it was delicious! I didn't even put anything on it, although I'm sure it would be yummy with berries or some sort of sauce. But it is so yummy by itself too! The outside is almost carmelized and the inside is moist. This is a Paula Deen recipe:

(Sorry the picture is terrible, and my cake tore a little in the center!)

Mama's Pound Cake

1/2 pound (2 sticks) softened butter, plus more for pan
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
3 cups sugar
5 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350.

With a mixer, cream butter and shortening together. Add sugar, a little at a time. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Stir dry ingredients together in a bowl and add to mixer alternately with milk, starting with the flour and ending with the flour. Mix in vanilla. Pour into a buttered and floured tube pan (bundt) and bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean (mine cooked for one hour and was perfect).

4 comments:

Stina said...

How funny--just recently I was thinking I wanted a good pound cake recipe. And there you go! We must have this connection. Can't wait to try it and gain 5 pounds! It'll be worth it!

Kelli said...

Seriously, Stina, don't you know that's why they call it POUND cake? I love pound cake. And I have a bundt pan! So excited!

Celeste Pearson said...

FYI - I tried this at Carissa's house and it's soooooo good! Just thought I'd let you know!

Kristi Adams said...

Ooo, pound cake is my weakness!