Thursday, August 27, 2009

Super Sidewalk Paint

I wanted to make this today and couldn't find the recipe! I think everyone needs to try it and it's one I like to do over and over. So, now it is forever on our blog--never to be lost (or almost lost) again!

CRAFT MATERIALS:

1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
Food coloring
Paintbrush

Time needed: 30 Minutes or Less
1. In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and cold water. Stir in as many drops of food coloring as you need to get your desired color. Repeat this process for each paint color. Use a paintbrush to make fun designs on the sidewalk or driveway. To wash the paint off, simply spray the area with water.

TIP: Super Sidewalk Paint isn't just for sidewalks. Put it in spray bottles and use it to color sand castles and snow sculptures.

4 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

Was this in Family Fun or something? I remember seeing something similar to this before. Anyway, this looks super fun. Do you know if it stains clothes because of the food dye? I totally want to let the kiddos do this sometime! Thanks!

Celeste Pearson said...

I saw this in a magazine (Family Fun?) but never did it and have lost the magazine. You saved the day! This will be perfect for this next week! I can't wait for it to stop raining next week and surprising the boys with this paint. Did you just leave each color in separate bowls and let them dip their brushes in? Thanks for posting this!

Stina said...

This was in Family Fun. And, I'm not sure if it stains or not. I put it in empty yogurt cups or in the plastic cups from restaurants. I buy those cheap craft sponge brushes (20-cents?) and let them use that to paint. There's a similar recipe where you add soap to it and they can paint in the bathtub. I want to try that one next!

Stina said...

You can also make a bath tub paint using

1/2 cup liquid hand soap
1 tsp cornstarch
food coloring

I tried it and it didn't stain. It just made the bath really soapy. My kids aren't very artsy, so they didn't care all that much for it. But, I thought I'd share cause I thought it was fun!