Sunday, August 23, 2009

Banana Cupcakes

I got this recipe from the Bakerella blog (LOVE HER) and had to try it the minute I saw it. I love the Banana Cake my friend Rachel shared with me, but these little cupcakes are so yummy too. They are very light in color and dense, which is perfect for me. A little note: When baking them, do not overbake. Bakerella baked hers 12-15 minutes; mine went more like 20 minutes. Just keep checking with a toothpick and when it comes out clean, they are done. Don't let them get too golden or they will be chewy. And the frosting recipe makes enough for at least 3 batches of the cupcakes, and the cupcake recipe is only for 12 cupcakes so I tripled the cupcake recipe. Also, when it says to have the eggs, milk, butter and cream cheese at room temperature, do it! I left mine out on the counter a couple of hours. Just follow the recipe. It is really yummy and my kids and Adam love it!
Photo courtesy of Bakerella

Banana Cupcakes



1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 large ripe banana (or almost 1 cup)
1/2 cup whole milk, room temperature

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake tray with 12 baking cups.

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl with a wire whisk. Cream butter and sugar in a mixer for about four minutes. Add banana and mix until combined. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.

Add half the flour in three additions alternating with milk in two additions. Scrape down the sides with each addition. Bake for about 12-15 minutes or until done.



Creamy Cream Cheese Frosting



1/2 cup butter, room temperature
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 box (1lb) of confectioner's sugar
Buttercup yellow icing color (optional)

Cream butter and cream cheese in mixer until thoroughly combined. Add vanilla, then add sugar in small batches until combined and creamy (I sifted my powdered sugar to make sure the frosting wasn't lumpy). Add a small amount of buttercup yellow icing color to frosting and mix (Bakerella did this to tie in the "banana" color to the cupcakes and it isn't really necessary but I did it and liked the effect. I just used regular yellow gel color).

6 comments:

Kelli said...

I love that it only calls for 1 banana because there have been so many times that I've had only 1 banana left and nothing fun to do with it! Can't wait to try it!

Stina said...

I read this last night and then dreamed about them. I can't wait to try them!

Celeste Pearson said...

These are really good - I like them because they are dense, but still cupcake-y (totally a word, right??). Even Bryan loves them; he got mad at me for eating the last one!

Stina said...

I made these today and definitely will keep them in my recipe book. I love that i had all the ingredients. (Although, I substituted whole milk with evaporated milk and water..sorry Carissa!) It's a great recipe to get rid of overripe bananas that I always seem to have!

Kristi Adams said...

Christina brought these over last night then left the left overs. I ate one the minute I walked in the door from church and nothing has ever tasted so good! I hope they have these in heaven!!

Denise said...

Yum! I too love that it only calls for one banana. I have so many bananas in my freezer because I did not have enough for banana bread.