Thursday, November 8, 2007

Bacon and Baked Potato Soup

This is from kraftfoods.com. I love that site, it offers a lot of recipes and the reviews from readers are way helpful. Some tips that I like from the site on making this soup- you can use half and half instead of milk to make it richer, you can add more cheese as well as more bacon if you prefer, and the soup will be runny at first so you need to mash the potatoes enough and allow the starches to thicken up the soup. Some readers also let the carrots and celery saute a bit longer with the butter so they were softer. If you want more ideas for potato recipes, go to kraftfoods.com and type in "potato" in the recipe search.

1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 can (14-1/2 oz.) reduced sodium chicken broth
1-1/4 cups milk
2 medium baking potatoes, baked, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
8 slices bacon, crisply cooked, crumbled and divided
3/4 cup cheddar cheese, divided
2 Tbsp. green onion slices, divided
1/4 cup sour cream

Melt butter in heavy saucepan or Dutch oven. Add onion and celery; cook and stir until crisp-tender. Add broth, milk, potatoes, salt and pepper; bring just to boil, stirring constantly. Slightly crush potatoes with back of spoon. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

Reserve 2 Tbsp. each of the bacon and cheese and 1 Tbsp. of the green onion for toppings; set aside. Add remaining bacon, cheese and green onion to soup just before serving; cook until cheese is melted, stirring constantly.

Serve topped with reserved bacon, cheese, green onion and sour cream.

7 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

You can also add some frozen corn to this. That would be so yummy!

Celeste Pearson said...

I have a similar recipe and I would suggest not adding the bacon to the soup - it gets soft and chewy. I prefer it crunchy so I add it to the top of my own bowl of soup right before eating it. You can just refrigerate any leftover bacon in a baggie to put on any leftover soup. And corn would rock in this soup!

Carissa Poyfair said...

That's a good idea. I hate soggy bacon. Thanks!

Kristi Adams said...

Christina gave me a recipe similar to this and I made it last night for dinner! I also made fresh bread and it was all amazing!!

Denise said...

I am totally in the mood for soup!! It is October and it is 75 degrees out!! I never thought I would say this but I wish it was a little colder. I can't have soup with weather like this! When it cools down I am going to make this! Maybe I will try homemade bread...probably not! But, it's sounds d-lish :)

Stina said...

I love this soup! And I'm always interested in variations to make the best of the best soup. You guys are so creative with how to add ingredients. Thanks for the ideas. I'm making this on Sunday, I think.

Celeste Pearson said...

My dad also has a recipe similar to this and he purees the potatoes so it's a creamier soup instead of chunky. I like it both ways and it's a good way to make the soup different. You just make the soup like usual without the onions and bacon (and other veggies) and just puree the milk/potato/sour cream mixture and then add the other veggies. It's yum-o!