Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Sour Cream Banana Pancakes

So I initially got this recipe out of one of Ina Garten's cookbooks, but I like to call it my own because I've made it enough times to have the recipe memorized (that makes it mine, right?). These are kind of rich, so they can even be used for brunch or dessert. Enjoy!

1 1/2 cups flour
3 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp milk
2 extra-large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp grated lemon zest
Unsalted butter
2 ripe bananas, diced, plus more for serving
Pure maple syrup

Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together sour cream, milk, eggs, vanilla extract, and lemon zest. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring just until combined.

Melt 1 Tbsp of the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat until it bubbles. Ladle the pancake batter into the pan to create 3-4 pancakes. Distribute a rounded tablespoon of bananas onto each pancake. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until bubbles appear on top and the underside is nicely browned. Flip the pancakes and then cook for another minute until browned. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel, add more butter to the pan, and continue cooking pancakes until all the batter is used. Serve with sliced bananas, butter and maple syrup.

**Just as a side note, I just use my pancake griddle, not a large skillet. And if I'm feeling lazy I will just throw all the diced bananas in the batter, but the downside is you don't know how many bananas get into your pancake and since the bananas are now covered in batter, they don't caramelize like they do when you just place them on top. It's up to you.

5 comments:

Kristi Adams said...

Kelli,
These sound sooo good! I love pancakes and bananas so I'll definitely give these a try!

Carissa Poyfair said...

I've had these and they are delicious!

Kristi Adams said...

When you use your pancake griddle, do you still have to melt the butter to cook the pancakes in or can you do it without?

Stina said...

So, I made these this morning. My kids ate them up and so did I! Brent was awake hours later, and even he is a fan--he's picky so it always is a gamble what he'll like. :) Great recipe. Kristi, I used my grittle and I just sprayed it with pam. Kelli, are you supposed to use butter for flavor--to carmelize the bananas? They were still great, even if I'm wrong!

Stina said...

So, I made these again this week, but used a new recipe for syrup I found. It's not a favorite, but it's good, so I thought I'd post it here. It reminds me of making toffee, but not cooking it until it crystalizes. Which means this syrup is like candy. Kelli said these pancakes were rich before--try it with this syrup! I thought I'd die of a heart attack. But, it was worth it!!


BUTTERMILK SYRUP
2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup butter
2 Tbsp karo syrup
*boil for 5 minutes and remove from stove top
*add:
1 tsp of baking soda
2 tsp of vanilla
*I would recommend you make this in a big pot b/c when you add the baking soda the syrup expands.