Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Janean's Salad

Okay, so you all don't know who Janean is, but her husband is in dental school here at Case Western Reserve University with my husband. Anyway, she makes this awesome salad and brings it to every potluck and party. I am in love with it and it is very versatile. You can add what you like to it and omit what you don't. You can even add things to it that aren't in the recipe, if you like! It serves 8-12 depending on portion sizes.


2 bags salad- "Spring Mix" works best
2 cups pecans
1/2 cup sugar
Kiwi, chopped (optional)
Strawberries, sliced (optional)
Grapes, quartered (optional)
Mandarin oranges, drained (optional)
Feta (optional)
Craisins (optional)

Dressing:
3 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper (optional)
2 Tbsp apple cider or white vinegar
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Combine salad ingredients to your liking. For pecans, melt sugar with pecans in a pan on low until sugar melts and crystallizes. Watch closely, as this will burn quickly after it melts. Mix dressing ingredients and shake well in a container. Pour on salad just before serving.

4 comments:

Kelli said...

I will have to take your word for it that they are good, especially since this sounds like it would feed a crowd! I'll have to make it next time I am in charge of salad at a family dinner.

Denise said...

We were invited over to a friend’s house for dinner and I made this salad. It was SOO good! Everyone wanted the recipe. I will definitely half this recipe and have it for dinner many times in the future, thanks!

Carissa Poyfair said...

Hey, I added a picture of this salad. I know, it was one of the first on the blog, but I still make it ALL THE TIME! Especially for get togethers. Anyway, I always add the feta, strawberries, Craisins and grapes. I also add the pecans, but I get the candied pecans from Trader Joes. You can do them yourself, or find something similar in your store. Hope the pic shows how beautiful and amazing this salad is! I get compliments on it all the time!

Celeste Pearson said...

Oh how I loooove this salad! I ask for it at every BBQ and holiday! The craisins and grapes and candied pecans are so good! And the feta is yummy in it!!