Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Fresh Roasted Salsa

I haven't posted in a very long time, and I have no excuse... except I'm lazy.

Do any of you have a plethora of tomatoes in your garden and you are sick to death of bottling/canning/freezing - which is code for blanching/peeling/cutting/chopping/crying/boiling/burning yourself/waiting to enjoy the 'fruits of your labor'??  Me too!!

We used to bottle some pretty good salsa - but I came across this little gem on a blog, I can't for the life of me remember the site (this was before Pinterest) - once we ate this, the old stuff was disappointing.  It's a pretty flexible recipe.  Here's what you need:

Tomatoes - Approximately a sink full. Washed and cut in halves.
Onions - Washed, peeled and quartered.  I use two onions per tray of tomatoes.
Jalapenos - Washed, stems removed and cut in halves.  I use two per tray of tomatoes.
Garlic - Peeled whole cloves.  I like a lot, I think there are four or five per tray of tomatoes.
Salt - I use coarse salt, I don't know why, but I like to see that I've got plenty sprinkled on the veggies.
Cilantro - Washed and drained.  I like a huge handful of the ends with the leaves.  (But, save for after roasting.)


Lay out your tomatoes, onions, jalapenos and garlic on cookie sheets - sprinkle generously with salt.  Roast at 425 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes.  The tomatoes loose their juices and everything gets a little 'charred'.  I use a slotted spoon to scoop everything into the food processor with the cilantro - this batch of salsa was about 3 food processors-full.  If you like thinner salsa - you can add the tomato juice from the cookie sheets.  I like thick and hearty salsa so I don't.  Add salt to taste.  If you like lime juice, you can add that too.  But, it really doesn't need it.

I hope you like this salsa as much as we do.  It's super easy and barely any prep work.  See.  I'm lazy.

4 comments:

Stina said...

Can I tell you I've been craving homemade salsa but am too lazy to make it? I'm glad to hear this is EASY. Now to gather ingredients and tortilla chips. And right in time for conference--four hours in front of the TV. Love it!

Denise said...

I am SO excited you posted this recipe. A friend made homemade salsa about 3 months ago and I have not been able to get it out of my mind since! I made a salsa using canned tomatoes...yuck! I will have to give this a go this weekend. What a great idea for a conference snack Stina :)

Sheral Wilson said...

Oh dear... I just read through this again.. The tomatoes LOSE their juices - not LOOSE. I really do know the difference!! Ha ha ha!!

Tia said...

I love homemade salsa, and this looks really good! I can't wait for the roasted goodness!