Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Zucchini Brownies

I've done it! I'm almost done using up all my frozen, shredded zucchini before this next batch arrives. I have one bag left and I have four zucchinis from my garden. Since you are all probably going to be up to your eyeballs in zucchini as well--I thought I'd share another dessert recipe using this fabulous and multipurpose vegetable.

Zucchini Brownies
(from the Aspen Meadows 2nd Ward cookbook--by an anonymous ward member)

1/2 cup vegetable oil
 1 1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups shredded zucchini
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Frosting:
6 TBSP cocoa powder
1/4 cup margarine or butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9x13 pan (I did not flour and it was fine).

In a large bowl mix together oil, sugar, and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour. Stir in 1/2 cup cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Fold in zucchini and walnuts (I omitted walnuts b/c of Mr. Brent). Spread evenly into the pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.

Frosting: Melt together cocoa and butter. Set aside to cool. In a separate bowl blend together the sugar, milk, and vanilla. Stir in the cocoa mixture. Spread over cooled brownies before cutting into squares.

3 comments:

Kristi Adams said...

I'm still working on my frozen zucchini..just in time to get some more out of my garden! My mom used to make these when we were little and she wouldn't tell us there was zucchini in them until after we ate them. They are sooo good!!

Tia said...

Oh my gosh!! I just found a zuchinni brownie recipe and I've been dying to try them!! Thanks for sharing this!

Unknown said...

Made these the other day when I was craving chocolate. Soooo good! We all loved them!!