Saturday, July 28, 2012

Tropical Pancakes

Brent and I spent last week in Kauai. It was wonderful! And while there, we ate at a local restaurant and I had the best pancakes ever. I figured out how to make them at home and thought I would share! Kristi's family joined us for dinner because that girl is a pancake addict. She can vouch for these. They should be dessert--but since it has nuts and bananas and coconut, I'd like to consider them healthy.


Hawaiian Pancakes with Coconut, Banana, and Macademia Nuts

I used my pancake recipe from my friend Jenner:

2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 cups milk
3 TBSP baking powder
1 mashed banana
1/2-1 cup shredded coconut
1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts

Mix well together.


Cook on 375 preheated griddle.

While the pancakes are cooking on their first side, you can add pineapple tidbits to the gooey side so when you flip them they get all browned and yummy.


Coconut Syrup
allrecipes.com

1 (14 oz) can coconut milk
1 cup flaked coconut
3/4 cup brown sugar

In a heavy saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Serve immediately.

(It gets nice and thick, so you can add more coconut milk to thin it out a bit.)



Serve syrup over pancakes and add fresh toppings of banana, macadamia nuts, and coconut--and fresh, homemade whipping cream!!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I can definitely vouch for these!! I had leftovers for breakfast this morning and they were still amazing, although they weren't quite the same without the coconut syrup. I think you should sell this to IHOP!!

Tia said...

What a fun change to pancakes!

Tia said...

What a fun change to pancakes!