Monday, June 18, 2012

Noodles with Peanut Sauce

recipe courtesy of bettycrocker.com

My mom is the one who inspired me to cook and try new recipes. Even when she had a busy day at school, she always made dinner. She claims that when she got burned out we'd eat frozen foods (ie. chicken patties), but I rarely remember that happening. And, I really have been so burned out on cooking--so thanks to everyone for keeping this up. My mom tried this recipe and Jordyn and I drooled over it while visiting. She let us try it and I had to make it at home, although since I have become such a lazy chef (who have  I become?!?!) I had to improvise.

Ingredients:

5 oz uncooked rice stick noodles
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp grated gingerroot
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 cup chicken broth or water
4 oz canned bean sprouts
1 small red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
2 medium green onions, sliced (2 Tbsp)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, if desired

Instructions

Heat 2 qts water to boiling. Break noodles in half and pull apart slightly; drop into boiling water. Cook uncovered 1 minute; drain. Rinse with cold water, drain.

Mix peanut butter, soy sauce, gingerroot and red pepper in small bowl with wire whisk until smooth. Gradually mix in broth.

Place noodles ina  large bowl. Add peanut butter mixture, bean sprouts, bell pepper, and onions; toss. Sprinkle with cilantro.


MY VARIATION

My mom added chicken to hers. If anyone here has had  the kabobs with peanut sauce from Thai restaurants--this sauce is very similar--and it's my fave! I decided to do a kabob version, but just grilled my chicken and cut it into chunks. I didn't have rice noodles but I have PLENTY of spaghetti noodles in my food storage. So, I used that! I omitted mostly everything cause I didn't have it on hand. But, I did have chives. I doubled the sauce, mixed it with spaghetti noodles and grilled chicken chunks.

And guess what?

Brent said, "This is really good."

If that doesn't convince you to try it, what will? :)

5 comments:

Denise said...

This is on this week’s menu. I have had rice stick noodles in my pantry for a year now and had no clue what to cook with it. Now I know thanks!!

Kristi Adams said...

This doesn't sound like a lazy chef to me! I'm really in dire need of some new recipes for dinner. I'm so tire of the same old stuff. This sounds right up my alley! So yummy!

Sheral Wilson said...

Looks good to me!! :D

Tia said...

this does sound like a fun new recipe to try

Tia said...

this does sound like a fun new recipe to try