Friday, April 22, 2011

Black Bean Pizza

I've been trying to make quick, easy & portable meals to take to the soccer games. I made this last night and really liked it. The only difference I would do is to add a little bit of flare--either sour cream & taco seasoning mixed or salsa over the top. I'm guessing this recipe will be right up Denise's alley. :)

Ingredients

1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed (I used pinto beans and it was yummy!)
1 cup thawed frozen corn kernels
4 plum tomatoes, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 avocado, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
16 ounces pizza dough, regular or whole-wheat
1 cup finely shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. and place an empty baking sheet on the middle rack.

2. In a medium bowl, combine the blackbeans, corn, tomatoes, scallions, cumin, chili powder, avocado, salt and black pepper; set aside.

3. Working on a lightly floured surface, roll the pizza dough into a 13-inch circle. Transfer to warmed baking sheet and crimp the edges slightly to form a lip at the edge of the crust. Top with black bean mixture, sprinkle with the cheese and bake 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cut into 8 slices and serve

3 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

This looks and sounds super yummy, and I like that it doesn't include meat because sometimes I just don't feel like defrosting and cooking meat! My kids LOVE black beans too :)

Kristi Adams said...

This sounds really good. Im in the same position with meals for soccer. We are getting tired of sandwiches. Pizza is a good idea!

Denise said...

YUM! I will have to give this a try!!