Friday, June 3, 2011

Oatmeal Coconut Chewies

Props to The Sisters Cafe for this awesome recipe. I whipped these together the other night after seeing these gals post the recipe on facebook. They got this recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe and her site has amazing recipes too!

You can't go wrong with coconut in my house. Olivia even asks for coconut ice cream with coconut flakes in it when we go to Cold Stone! And Adam and I drank wayyyy too many virgin Pina Coladas on our cruise a while back. Anyhow, I had all the ingredients on hand and these were super easy to make. Everyone absolutely loved them. They aren't too coconutty, just enough to make the cookies sweet. And they kind of make you think of somewhere tropical, like Hawaii! And who can't use a little more oatmeal in their diet, even if you have to get it by eating cookies :)

These are my new fave cookie, by the way!

Photo courtesy thesisterscafe.com

Oatmeal Coconut Chewies
courtesy thesisterscafe.com

1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened to cool room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups flour (you can add an extra 1/2 cup flour for higher altitudes, like Utah)
1 cup shredded, sweetened coconut
1 cup quick oats

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl cream together the sugar, eggs, butter and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a greased or lined (silpat or parchment) baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes, until the cookies are set but not overly browned. Don't overcook these or they will be crisp, unless that is what you are going for!

6 comments:

Kelli said...

Wait, wait, wait...no chocolate??? I'm pretty sure I have all those ingredients, too, except the coconut, mine(well, moms) is like a year old. Who knew coconut could go stale!? Excited to try these!

Kristi Adams said...

Definitely trying these! We are coconut addicts too. Coconut makes everything better!

Stina said...

I read the title and my mouth started watering! What a perfect combination! I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner!!!

Denise said...

Yum, these sound fantastic! I can’t wait to make these.

Stina said...

I made these today and loved them! I am a big fan of chocolate chipLESS cookies (even though I'm the biggest chocolate addict!)--so these were refreshing. They were soft and chewy and just good. My kids and all their friends loved them too--I just couldn't get Brent to try one...yet. I even plugged his nose to get him to open his mouth--no such luck. Weirdo.

Kristi Adams said...

These are my new fav too! Thanks for the yummy recipe!